[SOLVED] Random pc restarts.

Imenion

Prominent
Dec 14, 2020
Greetings lovely people,

I've recently build a new pc and everything seems to work really well except for random restarts of the PC as if I clicked the reset button, no warning, no log telling me what's wrong, no blue screen, just a restart.
This has happened 3 times inside 2 different games, once with no game running, and once during a run of memtest64(this gave no errors) the second run completed without errors aswell.
I'll add that I can sometimes play for hours without a crash and sometimes not even 10 minutes, as I say it's very random.

Things I have tried:

- Changed power options to put minimum processor state to 5% in advanced power options
  • turned off windows auto restart
  • reinstalled GPU and drivers
  • stress tested cpu&gpu at the same time(no crash and temps below 80 on both)

• ran a memtest64(no errors on the completed run)
  • reinstalled windows with a full wipe
  • disconnected the pc reset button
  • GPU ran fine in my previous setup for about a week while I waited for the new Cpu to arrive
My setup:

Cpu:Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard: b550aorus pro AC (bios updated)
Gpu: gforce rtx 3080 10gb msi ventus x3
Psu: corsair RM850W
Cpu cooler: fractal Celsius s36
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-32GVK
SSD: Samsung evo 500gb

Any help would be appreciated.
If you need more info please ask :)

Thanks in advance
Immy

Last edited:
Solution
From what I have read it is the transient response performance of the psu that is critical with RTX cards. This is the ability to hold its voltage under changing loads which is what you described as the scenario when this happened, the RX850 is not great in this respect. The 3.3v rail failed Tom’s testing https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127-4.html

And for 12v “The transient response of the +12V rail is satisfactory”.

I’m actually running a 3080 with 3700X with a high quality 650w with no issues.
Hey there,

Typically, random restarts like that (often at load) indicate a PSU issue. Yours is a great PSU, but that doesn't necessarily mean it not failing.

Have you a spare you can swap out? Alternatively bring pc case to local repair store, and get them to swap out PSU's and diagnose. It might only costs 20€£$.

Are you overclocking any components? If so, run at stock, see if that makes a difference in crash frequency.

Imenion

Prominent
Dec 14, 2020
I am not overclocking. And the crashes happen at load and not at load, I stressed the hell out of the pc for over an hour and no crash. But crashed while doing nothing but browsing the internet.

This also means there's no reliable way to see if the issue is fixed as it can't be triggered. It can take hours for it to crash or even be fine an entire day. (Altho a repair shop may have better tools for this)

Sadly I do not have a spare but from all I gather the most likely culprit is the PSU as you suggest. Since all the troubleshooting turned up empty.

Unless someone comes up with some other things to try I will buy a new one with a bit more Watt and of high quality. Hopefully that will help.

Thank you for the reply!

From what I have read it is the transient response performance of the psu that is critical with RTX cards. This is the ability to hold its voltage under changing loads which is what you described as the scenario when this happened, the RX850 is not great in this respect. The 3.3v rail failed Tom’s testing https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850-power-supply,6127-4.html

And for 12v “The transient response of the +12V rail is satisfactory”.

I’m actually running a 3080 with 3700X with a high quality 650w with no issues.

Solution

Imenion

Prominent
Dec 14, 2020
Would you be able to recommend a PSU? Even if 650 is enough I'd still like a 850w at least. I don't mind paying a little extra. At this point I just wasn't it to work.

I don't actually have a lot of knowledge of these things so help in this regard would be great so that I don't buy something sub par

Last edited: