Question Random PC shutdowns during gaming.

Mar 31, 2020
Hello all,
Recently, I’ve been having this issue with my PC where it shuts down in the middle of games. It’s doesn’t even have to be graphic intensive or anything to just randomly shut down. It happens in any game I play, ESO, Farm Sim 19, Minecraft, BF4. It sometimes goes a couple of hours before a shutdown and sometimes happens in minutes. It just shuts down and starts back up after a few seconds. At first I thought it was overheating but I check the temps and my GPU hovers around 50C and my CPU around 40C. I have an EVGA 1070Ti and I even RMA’d the card and it still happens.
I apologize if I haven’t provided enough info or described the problem well enough, this is my first time posting on here.

Specs
CPU - i5 6600k
Motherboard - Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon
Ram - 16GB HyperX 2400 DDR4 (2x4Gb)
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo
GPU - EVGA 1070Ti SC

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for the reply and I apologize.
The PSU I have is a Corsair CX750M, which is about 8 months old.

That's usually a decent budget PSU (especially if it's a new one with gray and black lettering, not the old ones with green letters), but even the best PSUs can be faulty. A 1070 Ti uses about 100 more watts than a 270x and if the PSU is having issues, 100W could put it over the edge. Since your temperatures are fine and you've already RMAed the GPU once, I'd suspect the PSU is the problem.

What to do is a little trickier given the COVID-19 quarantines. Normally, I'd suggest driving down to a store that won't hassle you for a return, swapping in a new PSU, and seeing what happens. Amazon's very generous with returns, but everything's slow now, so it may take you a little longer to test a replacement PSU.

Reactions: renz496
Mar 31, 2020
That's usually a decent budget PSU (especially if it's a new one with gray and black lettering, not the old ones with green letters), but even the best PSUs can be faulty. A 1070 Ti uses about 100 more watts than a 270x and if the PSU is having issues, 100W could put it over the edge. Since your temperatures are fine and you've already RMAed the GPU once, I'd suspect the PSU is the problem.

What to do is a little trickier given the COVID-19 quarantines. Normally, I'd suggest driving down to a store that won't hassle you for a return, swapping in a new PSU, and seeing what happens. Amazon's very generous with returns, but everything's slow now, so it may take you a little longer to test a replacement PSU.
It is the new PSU with gray and black lettering. What I was thinking about doing is going down to the local Best Buy and picking up a 600w EVGA power supply for around $60. I could try that and if it didn’t work I could just return it. This Covid-19 is really messing things up.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It is the new PSU with gray and black lettering. What I was thinking about doing is going down to the local Best Buy and picking up a 600w EVGA power supply for around $60. I could try that and if it didn’t work I could just return it. This Covid-19 is really messing things up.

It really depends on how much trouble you want to go to. A 600W EVGA PSU is likely one of their lower-quality lines whic are downgrades, in most cases, from the Corsair CX. So you could use one to test but not necessarily to keep.

One possibility, if your Best Buy is open, is to get a 600W EVGA PSU and just use it while RMAing your old PSU with Corsair and returning the EVGA PSU before your 30-day return window closes.

Mar 31, 2020
Before getting a replacement PSU, I would try reducing the power limit on the GPU to around 75% with a MSI Afterburner to see what happens.
I tried that. Even lowered it to around 50% and tried it. The same thing was still happening, could it still be the power supply that’s causing this issue?

Mar 31, 2020
Well, I went down to the local Best Buy and picked up a 600w EVGA PSU to test it out. I was able to play for over 5 hours without a single crash. It’s not definite but I do believe a faulty PSU was the issue. Thanks all!

Probably the PSU rail are not strong enough to handle your new 1070ti. Sometimes PSU rail can be an important factor to look for espcially if you're using more power hungry card. It is possible some low end PSU cut corners on this even if the unit can provide high wattage. That's why here we at toms we have those "PSU tier guides". The good ones most often from tier one and tier 2 group. But they can be a bit expensive due to better build quality. Just having those 80+ certification did not guarantee the quality of the unit.

Reactions: Seth_7834