[SOLVED] Random PC shutdowns for seemingly no reason...

Sep 2, 2021
Hey guys, for some reason my PC will randomly shut off during basically random situations, and I have no idea what could be wrong with my system. The shutdowns are like a power outage, not a windows shutdown.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 5800X (not OC)
GALAX RTX 3070
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX AM4 ATX Motherboard
Thermaltake H-ONE Gaming 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Seagate BarraCuda 510 250GB NVMe M.2
Seagate 2TB Barracuda HDD
Cougar GEX Series 750W 80+ Gold (old PSU)
Corsair RM750x (current PSU)

Some patterns in turning off I've noticed are:

• While loading certain games, certain games will take a few tries of the PC turning off before I can open it
  • During gameplay (this is pretty much random but definitely happens more on certain games)
  • Not super often - maybe once a every couple of days during random gameplay
  • Copes completely fine under full load (gpu and cpu) even for hours with no issues
  • CPU/GPU temps are all normal under load
Fixes I've already tried and have failed:

• Brand new psu
  • Cables reseated multiple times
  • Different drivers
  • Reseated ram
  • Plugging/unplugging all cables (and trying different ones that came with my new PSU)
  • Full Windows reset (nothing kept over)
  • Different wall outlets/powerboards/cables
Seriously I have absolutely no idea what the issue could be. Could this be a faulty GPU, CPU or motherboard and I just have to replace parts until it works? Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me with this odd issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Try to de-tune your ram to 3200mhz @ 1.35v and see if the problem goes away. Since you've changed the PSU already either the ram or GPU are the most likely culprit.

There are new BIOS available for the Aorus...looks like F13 is out so you may want to try that one if you're still on F10.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? You can locate the version by right clicking on Start and click on System. The version number should show up at the bottom of the new window. Instead of resetting the OS, you should try and recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, to rule out a corrupt installer. Once your OS installation is complete, manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. What BIOS version are you currently on?

How old is the Cougar PSU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't know thermlatake made ram?

do you know if ram was tested to work with the motherboard?
updated BIOS on motherboard?
temperatures okay?

i don't like the "replace until it works" idea, I prefer the "test and identify cause" idea as its expensive to randomly replace.

I would get PC tested by a shop before i randomly replaced.

what games doesn't it like? maybe it will give a hint as to cause.

@lutfi read thread, he has a Corsair PSU now

Sep 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? You can locate the version by right clicking on Start and click on System. The version number should show up at the bottom of the new window. Instead of resetting the OS, you should try and recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, to rule out a corrupt installer. Once your OS installation is complete, manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. What BIOS version are you currently on?

How old is the Cougar PSU?
Hey there, thanks. Currently on version 21H1. The cougar PSU was brand new when I bought this system around a year ago, I labelled it as old because I've replaced it with the corsair PSU. I recently updated the BIOS also because I thought that may have been the issue and it did nothing, Version is F10 I think. I'll give that bootable usb install a go if nothing easier works. Thanks for the help!

Sep 2, 2021
i didn't know thermlatake made ram?

do you know if ram was tested to work with the motherboard?
updated BIOS on motherboard?
temperatures okay?

i don't like the "replace until it works" idea, I prefer the "test and identify cause" idea as its expensive to randomly replace.

I would get PC tested by a shop before i randomly replaced.

what games doesn't it like? maybe it will give a hint as to cause.

@lutfi read thread, he has a Corsair PSU now
The ram seems to be fine, I've also tried my old Corsair ram and the same issue happened. BIOS update recently, nothing changed and the temperatures are completely fine, I have a Coolermaster AIO that's functioning well. I've called to a PC repair place and they seemed to be as baffled as me but were willing to take it in and have a look at it if I needed to. Their instinct is that it may be a bad GPU, and that I should try a different one. I haven't gotten around to trying that just yet. Games it's shutdown during launch (that I can remember) have been: Frostpunk, F1 2020, GTAV, Doom Eternal. It usually shuts off during playing CSGO. For a day it also decided that randomly tabbing back into Terraria wasn't allowed and shut off then too, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Also, games that shut down during launch seem to be bad on the first go ever or the first try after not playing for a while, but if I play them consistently it's no longer an issue.

Try to de-tune your ram to 3200mhz @ 1.35v and see if the problem goes away. Since you've changed the PSU already either the ram or GPU are the most likely culprit.

There are new BIOS available for the Aorus...looks like F13 is out so you may want to try that one if you're still on F10.

Solution

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
Are you sure that your CPU fan is working.
I had a similar issue on my old pc where it would just randomly shut down for no apparent reason.
turns out my cpu cooler was broken and would intermittently stop working

Sep 2, 2021

I'll try both of those

TRENDING THREADS