Random PC shutdowns, temps and ram seem to be fine. Need help.

Azolin

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Hello, i am new here so sorry for any mistakes i may make.

As of 15 days ago, my PC has been shutting down randomly, and i cannot figure out whats the most likely faulty hardware.

Here are the symptoms: The shutdowns occur both when idle or when heavy-loaded (ultra settings gaming, CAD software usage). Sometimes the pc will stay on for hours without a shutdown, sometimes i get about 3 shutdowns in an hour. Whenever the PC shuts down, it wont turn on again unless I remove it from the energy outlet and plug it back in. Sometimes, after plugging it back in, it will auto-shutdown 1 to 2 seconds after turning on. All coolers and LEDs light up when this happens.

Here's what i know/have tried: All temps are fine, I have been monitoring with CoreTemp, MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor. HWMonitor also shows my voltage to be stable and 12V, 5V and 3.3V are as expected. I have experienced shutdowns with the RAM stick in every one of the 4 slots i have. Shutdowns also happened without my gpu. I also tried leaving it on without ram, no shutdowns happened (about 1 hour test). I also tried changing power outlets, which didnt help either. Last night i booted memtest86 and it ran overnight, completing 4 passes. Today after lunch i left it running and went to work, this time for 10 tests, however when i got home the pc was off, so it shut down at some point during the afternoon. I borrowed my RAM stick to a friend, who played multiple games for a whole morning with no shutdowns. However, this last weekend i also experienced no shutdowns (2 days of no stop using). All drivers seem to be up to date. This PC is kinda new (1.5 years at most since i bought the parts and built it). I unfortunately don't have a spare mobo/psu i could use to test it. Windows event viewer looks like this for the minutes around a shutdown: https://imgur.com/a/jGIFMaH

What do you guys reckon is the problems? I believe it is either the mobo or psu, but i have also been told it could be the cpu. Since i will most likely have to replace the part, i want to make sure to replace the right one, so that's why i want your input. I am not overclocking anything.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: ASUS B350 Plus Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB
PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 500W Bronze
RAM: HyperX 1x8GB 2666Hz
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2Ghz, stock cooler
Last BIOS update was when i first built this pc, so back 1.5 years ago.

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to give as much info as I could.

Azolin

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

Thanks for the reply! My BIOS was set to "ASUS Optimal", which should be the best one performance-wise. I have set it to normal, let's see if it is of any help.

Azolin

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

Update: PC ran fine for about 7 hours, however it has shut down again. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a fix for my problem.

May 23, 2019
Hello, i am new here so sorry for any mistakes i may make.

As of 15 days ago, my PC has been shutting down randomly, and i cannot figure out whats the most likely faulty hardware.

Here are the symptoms: The shutdowns occur both when idle or when heavy-loaded (ultra settings gaming, CAD software usage). Sometimes the pc will stay on for hours without a shutdown, sometimes i get about 3 shutdowns in an hour. Whenever the PC shuts down, it wont turn on again unless I remove it from the energy outlet and plug it back in. Sometimes, after plugging it back in, it will auto-shutdown 1 to 2 seconds after turning on. All coolers and LEDs light up when this happens.

Here's what i know/have tried: All temps are fine, I have been monitoring with CoreTemp, MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor. HWMonitor also shows my voltage to be stable and 12V, 5V and 3.3V are as expected. I have experienced shutdowns with the RAM stick in every one of the 4 slots i have. Shutdowns also happened without my gpu. I also tried leaving it on without ram, no shutdowns happened (about 1 hour test). I also tried changing power outlets, which didnt help either. Last night i booted memtest86 and it ran overnight, completing 4 passes. Today after lunch i left it running and went to work, this time for 10 tests, however when i got home the pc was off, so it shut down at some point during the afternoon. I borrowed my RAM stick to a friend, who played multiple games for a whole morning with no shutdowns. However, this last weekend i also experienced no shutdowns (2 days of no stop using). All drivers seem to be up to date. This PC is kinda new (1.5 years at most since i bought the parts and built it). I unfortunately don't have a spare mobo/psu i could use to test it. Windows event viewer looks like this for the minutes around a shutdown: View: https://imgur.com/a/jGIFMaH

What do you guys reckon is the problems? I believe it is either the mobo or psu, but i have also been told it could be the cpu. Since i will most likely have to replace the part, i want to make sure to replace the right one, so that's why i want your input. I am not overclocking anything.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: ASUS B350 Plus Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB
PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 500W Bronze
RAM: HyperX 1x8GB 2666Hz
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2Ghz, stock cooler
Last BIOS update was when i first built this pc, so back 1.5 years ago.

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to give as much info as I could.
I seem to have the exact same problem, i even reinstalled windows, tried a different PSU, it will still shutdown randomly and i get a kernel power event in event viewer
i have intel CPU tho but i built mine same time as you
have you figured anything out