Question Random PC Stutters / Freezes when playing games or using Chrome

Aug 24, 2020
Context: I started having these issues randomly a few weeks ago. Whenever playing games there will be moments where my computer will completely freeze and not allow any user input. After the freeze, the FPS will climb back up from 0 and everything that happened during the freeze will occur quickly. I've been able to capture this on video using NVIDIA Shadowplay (although I have since deleted it to save space), so I do not believe it is a monitor or display issue.

Things I have done to try and solve this issue:

• Check the CPU/GPU usages: Whenever these freezes happen, I've checked my CPU and GPU usage and both of them stay at a normal level. Nothing jumps to 100% usage, and there are no overheating issues with my parts. The highest the temperature will go is 60C, which is normal as far as I know.
  • Checked the RAM: I have run a memtest on each stick of RAM I have and they have all come back fine. In addition, I reseated all of my RAM just in case.
  • Checked my drives: I've run a chkdsk on all of my drives and no errors come up on any of them.
  • Reinstalled Windows / Bought new SSD: I bought a new SSD and reinstlled Windows from scratch as my previous SSD was pretty old and had poor read/write speeds.
  • Reinstalled Drivers: I've reinstalled my GPU drivers, chipset drivers, and even flashed my BIOS to the lastest version.
Process of elimination leaves me with very little to work with. The only thing I can think of is that these issues started a few days after a really bad thunderstorm happened in my area. Any ideas on what my issue is?

Specs:
Mobo: AMD X570-A Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
RAM: 32Gb Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 Ram
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair CX650M 80 Plus Bronze

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS