[SOLVED] Random Ping Spikes but still normal

T-K

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
A couple of times a day I get these massive ping spikes up to 1000+. I'm playing a lot and I can hear my mates 100% clearly when these spikes happen and browsing the internet works just fine as well... but they can't hear me and im getting high ping. Its weird how it works but not works. I'm using Wireless and has been working fine for many years. The router is also very new.

It happens on every game and on every system, my PC and ps4. Even when nobody is using any bandwidth.

I use QoS prioritizing Gaming and then streaming after that. I tried lowering the bandwidth settings and also tried Automatic. I also tried to use 5Ghz.

My router:
Router: Asus RT-AC87U - 3.0.0.4.382_51640 firmware (newest update)
Speed is 30 Mbit/s down and 3 Mbit/s up

Solution
Did you try this on a wired connection. QoS and other setting have no effect on the wifi signals themselves.

This is a extremely common problem on wifi generally caused by interference from neighbors wifi. You need to do some testing on ethernet before you do things like upgrade firmware. The actual wifi chip drivers are likely exactly the same since both asus and merlin get them from the chipset manufacture they are not something that can be modified.
Did you try this on a wired connection. QoS and other setting have no effect on the wifi signals themselves.

This is a extremely common problem on wifi generally caused by interference from neighbors wifi. You need to do some testing on ethernet before you do things like upgrade firmware. The actual wifi chip drivers are likely exactly the same since both asus and merlin get them from the chipset manufacture they are not something that can be modified.

Solution