Question Random ping spikes on ethernet connection at dorm

Sep 11, 2020
I am living in a dorm at my university, and whenever I try to play any games, every 5 minutes or so, I will time out and it will kick me from the game. At the same time, my discord ping will shoot up to 5000, but if i leave the channel rejoin, it fixes itself before repeating again. I'm hooked up to ethernet, and so is my roomate, but he does not have any of the issues I do.

I've done a ping test while the problems are happening, but my results on the ping tests do not show any spikes

Sep 11, 2020
I'm getting the same issue started yesterday... It seems right when I start to load something my internet goes bad. in discord, it says I have 5000 ping. but sometimes I will have 30 ping and still be lagging and can't load pages. But yet I can load into games and run around no problem??

Sep 11, 2020
I'm getting the same issue started yesterday... It seems right when I start to load something my internet goes bad. in discord, it says I have 5000 ping. but sometimes I will have 30 ping and still be lagging and can't load pages. But yet I can load into games and run around no problem??
yeah i can load pages and stuff just fine, it just seems to be in discord and when i play games its so frustrating because i can't play any games without getting kicked out in the first 5 minutes and having to exit and rejoin a voice channel every 30 seconds