Random ping spikes, only in games?

Aug 19, 2018
my specs are gtx 750ti i5 4590 and 8gb ram, tp-link 150mbps wireless adapter and a 800w psu
although i believe specs are irrelevant in this case it seems they're necessary?
Anyways, basically in my games - overwatch and counter strike, my ping spikes from 40ms to around 150ms and everyone stops moving for a moment, and this happens fairly frequently. I tried ping testing in cmd and eveything seemed normal? no out of place numbers it was pretty uniform so could someone please help me?

Solution
You need to leave a cmd prompt run with a constant ping to your router IP running in the background.

You need to also test to see if this happens when you use a ethernet cable. This is extremely common when you use wifi and is exactly why it is recommended to never play games on wifi.

If it happens on a ethernet cable then it get much harder because it can be many things. Many times the games will lie and say its a network issue when the real problem is they are too busy doing something else to accept the network data so they delay accepting the data and then say the ping increased...of course it did the game left the data sitting around.
You need to leave a cmd prompt run with a constant ping to your router IP running in the background.

You need to also test to see if this happens when you use a ethernet cable. This is extremely common when you use wifi and is exactly why it is recommended to never play games on wifi.

If it happens on a ethernet cable then it get much harder because it can be many things. Many times the games will lie and say its a network issue when the real problem is they are too busy doing something else to accept the network data so they delay accepting the data and then say the ping increased...of course it did the game left the data sitting around.

Solution