Question Random Ping spikes

Sep 6, 2021
Hi, I've noticed that my ping will randomly spike every five minutes for a few hours and then be perfectly fine. I replaced my wifi card with a usb wifi adapter, I'm getting better download, but I'm still having the problem with random high ping spikes. I ran a tracert to google.com, pinged my router, isp and google a couple thousand times and noticed that when I ping my router I normally get 2ms to 4ms, with a wireless connection. However every few minutes my ping will spike to 3000ms in between the 2s and 4s about 5 to 10 times in 100 pings. I pinged my router from a different device and got similar results although in that case I was getting ping spikes of about 200ms to 300ms. When running the tests, I only had two devices connected to the wifi. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Not sure what you expect. Wifi is subject to interference and large ping spikes is exactly what you see when there is interference. It likely is some neighbor using their wifi on the same radio channels as you. The recommendation used to be to change radio channels but that is not very effective anymore since many routers attempt to use every available radio channel and people have multiple so called "mesh" systems in their house making it even worse.

TRENDING THREADS