Question Random power cycling ?

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Hey, so my PC has been randomly power cycling since the past two months.
I have replaced everything including the PSU, RAM, MOBO, SSD.

PC specs:
i7-8700
Mobo : Gigabyte B365 DS3h
Gskill Ripjaws 3600mhz DDR4 X1
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750 cmstorm 80 plus bronze

I still encountered the same issue. The only thing left to replace is the processor itself. Before I do so, could it be causing the power cycling as everyone I asked say it's rare and moreover, I have no more money left to shell for a new processor.

Requesting answers as I'm exhausted trying to resolve this issue since the past 2 months and want to get it solved asap.
TIA

Lutfij

Titan
By replaced, do you mean replaced the parts with the same prior units or an upgrade of sorts?

You didn't state the make and model of your GPU, are you working with the iGPU on the i7? If you're able to get into BIOS, can you see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing?

PC specs:
i7 8700
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD

I still encountered the same issue. The only thing left to replace is the processor itself. Before I do so, could it be causing the power cycling as everyone I asked say it's rare and moreover, I have no more money left to shell for a new processor.

Requesting answers as I'm exhausted trying to resolve this issue since the past 2 months and want to get it solved asap.
TIA
I don't know what power cycling means can you explain what you see?

Perhaps try a different power cord or if using a surge unit or ups bypass them or try a wall socket in a different room.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
By replaced, do you mean replaced the parts with the same prior units or an upgrade of sorts?

You didn't state the make and model of your GPU, are you working with the iGPU on the i7? If you're able to get into BIOS, can you see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing?
Replaced with the same parts but RMAd them.
I'm using the iGPU.
I updated the bios to the latest version but the problem persists.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
I don't know what power cycling means can you explain what you see?

Perhaps try a different power cord or if using a surge unit or ups bypass them or try a wall socket in a different room.
By power cycling I mean the PC just shuts down randomly. Sometimes post boot, sometime during startup.
Then it powers on automatically.
Tried a new power cable, new socket and a whole different house.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022

PC specs:
i7-8700
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
Deepcool 240mm AIO
Antec nx500 cabinet

Could the AIO be causing the shutdowns or the cabin be causing problems?

TIA

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, always state the version of the BIOS as opposed to saying latest. If you've got limited funds or none at all, might as well take your processor onto a friend or neighbor's crib and drop into their motherboard(provided it's compatible with your processor) and see if the issue persists there. Troubleshooting often entails having spare parts to rule out what might be the issue.

In your build, I'd have invested on a better quality unit as opposed to the Coolermaster GX you've listed.

If you suspect it's the AIO, loosen the mount a little, one anti clockwise revolution for the mounts. If you suspect the AIO is faulty or failing, you need temps to back it up. If you can't even POST, then try working with a stock cooler to rule out a faulty pump.

Opening multiple threads won't help your cause apart from causing spaghetti brains, for the community and you.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Ralston18

Titan
Restarts just at random - correct? No matter what you are doing: browsing, light work, gaming?

No power savers or other software installed that could be putting or attempting to put the PC to sleep?

Any automatic apps for AV scans, backups, or updates?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the recycles.

Are you using any power strips, surge protectors, extension cords? UPS?

Has the wall outlet providing power to the PC been checked? Any lights flickering, etc..

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
For the sake of relevance, always state the version of the BIOS as opposed to saying latest. If you've got limited funds or none at all, might as well take your processor onto a friend or neighbor's crib and drop into their motherboard(provided it's compatible with your processor) and see if the issue persists there. Troubleshooting often entails having spare parts to rule out what might be the issue.

In your build, I'd have invested on a better quality unit as opposed to the Coolermaster GX you've listed.

If you suspect it's the AIO, loosen the mount a little, one anti clockwise revolution for the mounts. If you suspect the AIO is faulty or failing, you need temps to back it up. If you can't even POST, then try working with a stock cooler to rule out a faulty pump.

Opening multiple threads won't help your cause apart from causing spaghetti brains, for the community and you.
The PSU is definitely not the issue as I also used a Corsair VS650 and had the same issue. My question is can the AIO cause physical malfunctions in any way? The temperatures do not cross 55°C under full load so that is definitely not the problem.
Can the cabinet be causing any problems?
TIA
P.s I posted a different thread with a different question and not with any other intention.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Restarts just at random - correct? No matter what you are doing: browsing, light work, gaming?

No power savers or other software installed that could be putting or attempting to put the PC to sleep?

Any automatic apps for AV scans, backups, or updates?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurs just before or at the time of the recycles.

Are you using any power strips, surge protectors, extension cords? UPS?

Has the wall outlet providing power to the PC been checked? Any lights flickering, etc..
Yes, irrespective of the load, sometimes during idle and sometimes during an editing software and sometimes before booting.
No power savers or any other apps as such.
No power strips or UPS. Tried it at a friend's house, had the same issue.
I get kernel power 41 in the reliability history. But nothing else.
Yes, I changed the location and still had the same issue so it has nothing to do with the socket.
Could the cabinet be doing something? Like the power button causing short circuits?
I've already checked for loose screws and wires but haven't found any.

Ralston18

Titan
In Reliability History did the Kernel Power 41 entries start around some certain date (noted "two months ago") and/or have been increasing in numbers since then?

And are there any other error codes, warnings, or informational events? Do not forget to check Event Viewer.

No patterns at all - just random occurrences?

It could be the case switches. Some short circuit. Also look around the I/O panel for anything out of alignment and touching.

Make and model case/cabinet? Configuration?

Do the restarts tend to occur soon after the PC is powered up but not yet warmed up? Something loose when cold, heats up, expands, gets tight.

Have you ever noticed a power cycle after maybe a desk/table bump or loud audio noise? Something that causes vibrations....

Maybe a fan kicking in. Speeds up, moves bit (action/reaction) and something touches and shorts.

Inspect everything using a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass. Look for kinked or pinched wires, swollen components, metal flecks. Bare conductor showing, melted insulation. Look at and in plugs, ports, sockets. Cracks, debris, damage of any sort. Anything astray at all.

Try simplifying the components: one drive (boot), no extra USB devices, one monitor, disconnect speakers, etc.. as much as you can. Determine if the power problems can be related to the presence of one particular device and its' cable as applicable.

Intermittent problems are difficult to troubleshoot and the process can be quite frustrating.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
In Reliability History did the Kernel Power 41 entries start around some certain date (noted "two months ago") and/or have been increasing in numbers since then?

And are there any other error codes, warnings, or informational events? Do not forget to check Event Viewer.

It could be the case switches. Some short circuit. Also look around the I/O panel for anything out of alignment and touching.

Do the restarts tend to occur soon after the PC is powered up but not yet warmed up? Something loose when cold, heats up, expands, gets tight.

Have you ever noticed a power cycle after maybe a desk/table bump or loud audio noise? Something that causes vibrations....

Maybe a fan kicking in. Speeds up, moves bit (action/reaction) and something touches and shorts.

Inspect everything using a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass. Look for kinked or pinched wires, swollen components, metal flecks. Bare conductor showing, melted insulation. Look at and in plugs, ports, sockets. Cracks, debris, damage of any sort. Anything astray at all.

Try simplifying the components: one drive (boot), no extra USB devices, one monitor, disconnect speakers, etc.. as much as you can. Determine if the power problems can be related to the presence of one particular device and its' cable as applicable.

Intermittent problems are difficult to troubleshoot and the process can be quite frustrating.
The shutdowns are completely random.
The cabinet is an ANTEC NX500 tower.
Most of the time, the shutdowns occur during power up, after the boot screen.
I will check the power button as you mentioned, thank you. Will let you know how it goes.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022

Hey, so the diagnostics person keeps saying that the Mobo requires a 2v input which he got from a mobo diagram for my mobo model while the smps I have gives out 2.5v which is causing the power cycling, does this make sense?

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022

Hey, so the diagnostics person keeps saying that the Mobo requires a 2v input which he got from a mobo diagram for my mobo model while the smps I have gives out 2.5v which is causing the power cycling, does this make sense?

Ralston18

Titan
Who/what diagnostic person?

Source for that "mobo diagram"?

Clarify what you mean by the acronym "smps". Does not appear to fit the context of your posts.

What, if anything, is plugged into the motherboard inputting 2 volts?

How did you measure or otherwise obtain that 2.5 volt value?

References?

More information needed.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Who/what diagnostic person?

Source for that "mobo diagram"?

Clarify what you mean by the acronym "smps". Does not appear to fit the context of your posts.

What, if anything, is plugged into the motherboard inputting 2 volts?

How did you measure or otherwise obtain that 2.5 volt value?

References?

More information needed.
I've given my PC to a repair shop after being frustrated with the issue.

I have asked him for the source, yet to recieve it.

SMPS - Switched mode power supply = PSU

An input cable going from the PSU to the Mobo is apparently outputting 2.5v when the Mobo only needs 2v.

References, he is given me none.

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

8 Technical Specifications of PSU Explained - The Power Supply of PC - BinaryTides

and

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

No intent for you to obtain a multi-meter, etc..

Objective being to help you learn more about PSUs.

Read the links and then do some additional research based on what you know thus far and what you learn.

It is those 2.5v / 2.0v values cited that I am wondering about? Could he have meant 3.0 v? Rails?

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
FYI:

8 Technical Specifications of PSU Explained - The Power Supply of PC - BinaryTides

and

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

No intent for you to obtain a multi-meter, etc..

Objective being to help you learn more about PSUs.

Read the links and then do some additional research based on what you know thus far and what you learn.

It is those 2.5v / 2.0v values cited that I am wondering about? Could he have meant 3.0 v? Rails?

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
No, he specifically repeated that the current PSU supplies 2.5v input while my Mobo is only rated for 2v.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU 2.5 volts, Mobo 2v?

Something seems astray. Or I am overlooking something.

FYI:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...ds3h_e.pdf?v=0e0359fbe5ac0d70c6aa180db9639b37

[Do verify that I found the applicable motherboard manual matching your motherboard and its' version.]

Reference physically numbered Page 1-13.

Look at the ATX connector voltages.

Ask what pins he is referring to.....

Likewise look at the PSU:

https://www.coolermaster.com/us/en-us/catalog/legacy-products/power/gx-750/#specifications

If he is measuring 2.5 volts on one of the PSU output pins that is certainly a problem.

However, he needs to tell you what on the motherboard is "rated for 2v".

Perhaps someone else will comment with additional ideas and suggestions.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
PSU 2.5 volts, Mobo 2v?

Something seems astray. Or I am overlooking something.

FYI:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...ds3h_e.pdf?v=0e0359fbe5ac0d70c6aa180db9639b37

[Do verify that I found the applicable motherboard manual matching your motherboard and its' version.]

Reference physically numbered Page 1-13.

Look at the ATX connector voltages.

Ask what pins he is referring to.....

Likewise look at the PSU:

https://www.coolermaster.com/us/en-us/catalog/legacy-products/power/gx-750/#specifications

If he is measuring 2.5 volts on one of the PSU output pins that is certainly a problem.

However, he needs to tell you what on the motherboard is "rated for 2v".

Perhaps someone else will comment with additional ideas and suggestions.
Yes, the Mobo and PSU models are spot on.
He just keeps saying 2v input. Nothing else, will ask what pins he's talking about.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Fair enough.

However, based on the links I provided are you comfortable with why the question needs to be asked?

He should be able to provide more explanation.

What solution is he offering and how much will that solution cost?
He has offered a 500w PSU, with a '2v' output but that hasn't solved the problem as it turned off in his presence but he insists that my old PSU has to be replaced as it is also a part of the problem. But I'm skeptical if he's just trying to fool me.

Another possible reason was that I had taken the front panel of the cabinet off just to know how to disassemble and shortly after I started having these issues. So I told him to check that out. He has been bypassing the power button and directly turning on the pc by shorting the pins on the Mobo.

Is there any way to know if the cabinet is causing the bootloops?
Because the computer doesn't just shut down, it automatically powers on after it randomly shuts down.
Based on the above fact, could the cabinet wiring be causing the power cycling?

Ralston18

Titan
So when he bypasses the power button the computer does not power cycle?

I would not go "backwards" with respect to installing a 550 Watt PSU. Stay with a known, reputable 750 Watt PSU.

It is reasonable to install another known working PSU for testing purposes. Since his PSU failed to resolve the problem then I would question the need to replace your PSU.

There could be a problem with the cabinet switch or one of the connections involved.

Also: motherboard.

[Do verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

Check the status of all LEDs: With power off and power on. Watch while power cycling.

Double check all mother board connections and configuration settings. Ensure that none of the connectors are damaged in some manner: no bare conductor showing, no melted insulation, no cracks in plastic, no kinks or pinches.

Ensure that all connectors are correctly installed. Starting with F_Panel per Physically numbered Page 16.

Also look at the User documentation for the case/cabinet. Double check everything there as well.

My thought is that something is not correctly or fully in place. Very likely may have happened when the front cover was removed.

Take a very careful, methodical look at it all.

And start thinking about finding another repair shop if the current tech is not being forth coming.

TRENDING THREADS