[SOLVED] Random power failure on my Peripherals

DeadShot_1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Sometimes while i'm on my PC all power to my usb ports will just fail all power to my keyboard mouse and headset will stop working for 5-10 seconds then come back alive. it occasionally messes with my sound setting.
Win 10
b350 artic Tomohawk
EVGA 850 psu

Solution
Methodically try each device one at a time and then in some combination of USB devices.

Remove cables that are not plugged in. Could be a short or defect with respect to any given cable and/or the respective device drivers.

Focus on finding a USB configuration that works (i.e., no power failures) and then add or subtract devices one by one or in combinations until the problem re-occurs.

Key is to be able to find a way to create the power failures at will. That will narrow things down to a specific device or configuration.

Ralston18

Titan
How many USB peripherals are plugged directly into your PC. Could well be that the USB load is too much. You may need to consider an external USB device that is independently powered.

Loose connection perhaps?

Have you opened the PC and checked that all cables and connections, card seatings, ram seating, jumpers are all fully and firmly in place?

Look in Event Viewer and Resource History/Monitor for error codes and warnings. Especially any that occur just before or at the time of the power failures.

DeadShot_1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

I have 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, a wireless headset, 1 external harddrive that has it's own power, and a usb guitar jack that isn't plugged into the guitar atm.

Ralston18

Titan
Methodically try each device one at a time and then in some combination of USB devices.

Remove cables that are not plugged in. Could be a short or defect with respect to any given cable and/or the respective device drivers.

Focus on finding a USB configuration that works (i.e., no power failures) and then add or subtract devices one by one or in combinations until the problem re-occurs.

Key is to be able to find a way to create the power failures at will. That will narrow things down to a specific device or configuration.

Solution

DeadShot_1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

That'll be a problem it's at complete random when it happens not like a happens between X and Y or when X is plugged in it will happen whenever it feels like it.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager. They may be capturing some relevant error codes and warnings.

That said, random and varying problems are often a sign of a problematic PSU. New or old PSU - does not matter.

And if USB ports are affected the most then the PSU becomes all the more suspect in my mind.

DeadShot_1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

Closest thing I can find is:
Source
Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎12/‎23/‎2018 12:01 PM

Ralston18

Titan
Okay.

I googled "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" and found the following (undated) link:

https://www.itechgyan.com/windows-audio-device-graph-isolation/

And another link (October 9, 2018):

https://tricksmaze.com/windows-audio-device-graph-isolation/

Overall, there a quite a number of similar links to be found.

Do your own search but vary the search criteria as necessary to match your system and situation.

No need to immediately react and execute any given "solution" or "fix".

Read and understand what may be applicable to your system and the source cause of the problem.

Especially because I am not seeing/finding a connection between the "stopped working" error and USB power problems.

Could be loss of power to the headset makes it "disappear" and the driver(s) crash accordingly. Need to prove or disprove that cause and effect....

May take some deeper digging to narrow down the issues involved.