Random power loss

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Ok so I built a brand new I5 2500k machine and im having random power loss...I will be playing a game or just sitting browsing the internet and all of a sudden ill lose power and my pc will reboot...nothing is overheating...i have checked everything and all my temperatures are as cool as can be...plenty of airflow and the case runs cold...specs are i5 2500k, asrock extreme3 gen3 motherboard, 8 gigs of g.skill ddr3 1600, radeon 6870x2 crossfired, corsair tx650 watt power supply. I also get a BSOD from time to time more often than it should ever happen, i did run memtest and it came back with 0 errors so I dont think my ram is an issue...could my PSU just be a pile of junk or should i flash my bios? Any feed back is appreciated thanks!

beenthere

Distinguished
The BIOS is not likely the problem. Do you have another PSU that you can try? Have you tested with only one GPU installed? The PSU should have enough power but there is the remote possibility of a problem. You could also have a Crossfire issue since you're getting BSODs in additional to a complete power down.

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I dont have another PSU to try, its brand new i guess it could be defective but its been running everything smoothly, and it doesnt struggle at all with powering everything. What kind of crossfire issue would you say it could be?

nkseal

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
So i ran memtest for 3 passes and i got 0 errors, how ever when i was running memtest, my pc lost power randomly twice...this must be a defective power supply? what else could it be?