Legg83

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Yet another random power off thread,

I've got a machine which has been running fine for a year. Recently it started randomly powering off after several hours of use. The amount of time before a power off has gradually decreased until now it might not even make it past the POST before it powers off. Initially I checked temps which seemed to be within range so I decided to buy a nifty power supply tester. That came today, it has a a bunch of LEDs for each power lead so I can't check how much power is being output, I just assume that if it lights up some power is being output. I tried my 24pin mobo connector and everything lit up, same with the 4 pin 12V CPU connector, 6 pin graphics card connector, my sata power connectors and my fans. I'm still considering my PSU suspect but maybe someone can suggest something else to check?

I've cleared the CMOS, unplugged the power and sata cables from my dvd and hdd drives, removed my only stick of ram, so I just had the mobo, CPU, [strike]and graphics[/strike] card plugged in. UPDATE: tried it without the graphics card too. Machine will power up, fans come up.. then power down, and power up a few seconds later without my intervention. Occasionally it will POST and I get a display, and it'll make its way to Windows logon, before it powers down again. Oh yea I've tried reseating the power switch lead to the mobo, tried directly tripping that myself to see if it was loose. Also tried switching to a different power outlet and tried a different power cable, just to try weird things and hoping I don't have to replace a part. :kaola:

Here are the specs..

Antec NSK4480 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply
ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
PNY VCG96512GXPB-FLB GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E2180
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X2048-6400C5
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B

I think that cheap PSU that came with the case has enough power, and it worked fine for a year so I r confused.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You have to remember too that power supplies sometimes degrade over time in the juice they can deliver. Also, if the power supply is going out, you don't want to use it anymore than you have to. If a power supply goes out, you could potentially kill other components.