Question RANDOM read and write speeds too low

Jan 8, 2020
The two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I tested both with drives directly connected to PC 3.1 USB port and via a 3.0 USB Hub.

Results:
Seagate USB 3.0 Disk drive: Sequential read approx. 140 MB/s, Sequential write approx. 140 MB/s, Random read around 1 MB/s, Random write around 1.9 MB/s
My Book USB 3.0 Disk drive: Sequential read approx. 230 MB/s, Sequential write approx. 38 MB/s, Random read around 1.5 MB/s, Random write around 2.2 MB/s
Sandisk Extreme GO USB 3.1 Flash Drive: Sequential read approx. 190 MB/s, Sequential write approx. 140 MB/s, Random read around 7 MB/s, Random write around 2.5 MB/s

Since this happens on different devices my guess is the problem is with the computer and not with the devices. For each of these devices the policies are set for faster performance.

Drivers are the best Windows can find (when updating drivers via Device Manager).

What can I do to resolve the very slow RANDOM read and write speeds?

Jan 8, 2020
are the disk drive 5400rpm?
try an external ssd drive?
I don't know the rpm and I think it is irrelevant to my question. I am happy with the SEQUENTIAL read and write speeds. This means I am happy with the rpm. My question is about the HUGE difference between SEQUENTIAL and RANDOM read and write speeds.

I do have a 256GB SSD in my PC. I do not want to buy 2 4TB ssd drives. I do no have the budget of Bill Gates :)