Random Reboot / Black Screen

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Hi there chaps, my rig is randomly rebooting or losing video output signal and I need some advice cause this is getting annoying.

Problem
My PC gives no bsod etc. just full restart randomly in games like Fallout 4, bf4 and even simpler stuff like world of warships.The reboot happens at seemingly random intervals but most of the time it happens when gaming or particularly when quitting/ alt-tabbing out of games.
Whole reboot takes less than 10 seconds.

History
My GPU / Monitor have always acted up slightly ever since I got them (screen is the oldest part of my setup) with occasional loss of signal and no way to recover it other than rebooting. However, since a week or so (after I installed my M.2 drive which oddly enough is working just fine) it's going full reboot on me. During the installation of that M.2 I did have to remove my GPU for better access but I put it back into its original box for the duration of the process.

Rig Specs
CPU: 8700k (2018)
RAM: Corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz DDR4 (2018)
mobo: Asus maximus X Hero (2018)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 (2015)
PSU: Corsair RMx 750 (2018)
Case: CM H500 Mesh White (2018)
SSDs: Corsair force 3 (old) 250gb, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb (2017), Samsung 970 Evo m.2 1Tb (less than month old)

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Update: I ran AIDA64 stress tests on everything except the GPU and it was all fine. Thereafter I also ran it on the GPU and after 10 seconds I had the (now not so random) random reboot.

Reran the test again after the reboot and this time all was well for over 12 minutes of stress testing and I jus ended it normally. (gpu included from the start this time)
I have no idea what's going on or what is broken.
Going to test the memory next.

Ran memory tests and all was well. Passed Prime95 with flying colours. Thought I might have a virus so got Kaspersky and ran a scan. Found nothing. Still no idea what's wrong.

So next I tried booting some games again and the second I joined a game in wh40k space hulk it killed the screen again but didn't reboot. Just full loss of signal. Then I rebooted and it killed the screen again as soon as I opened windows. Rebooted again and now I'm writing this next update. I really have no clue what so ever what to do. Think I'll just try replacing the GPU and see what happens.

Some other stuff I've tried so far Is updating my drivers and running some maintenance on windows 10 via the console but still nothing.

Rexer

Distinguished
-A few things come to my mind.
Try 'reset' or 'set to default' your games (all of them). Remember to write down your game settings as they will be gone. Sometimes games will remember a crash like a game setting and when playing the game, the criteria for the crash is met, "ZAP", it crashes the computer.
-Check Asus for the latest motherboard bios updates.
-The other thing was the PSU RM750, a number of them had been recalled for faulty thermo fan setting. Check with Corsair online.
-Do a clean uninstall/reinstall of your video drivers. Check Nvidia for the latest gpu card software. Make sure the old drivers removed by their uninstaller tool or DDU. Sometimes a component of the old driver would fragment in the registry path and are not detected by uninstaller tools. If that's the case, you need to reinstall the old driver so the uninstaller tool can see it.
-One of my monitors needs to be turned off every day and the power drained (5 second hold on the power button after it's had the power cord removed). Otherwise it won't start. It's a bad component/part such as a capacitor failing to drain properly or a bad resistor in the monitor. Maybe MOSFET as they do go bad, too.
-Reseat all your plug in hardware including ram. Check your connections.
-After you do this run check disk and defrag it.
Hope this helps.