Question Random Reboots after Installing a New Graphics Card

Mar 7, 2019
I replaced my old GTX 960 with a XFX RX 580 8GB and now it randomly reboots during gameplay.

My PC is a pre build from Medion that i bought in 2016. Since the GTX 960 started to struggle in new games i replaced it with a XFX RX 580, since then i have random reboots while playing modern games.

I thought it might be the PSU since it was just a 450 Watt one, i found a older 650 Watt PSU which i installed but i had to use a 20 to 14 pin adapter to make it work.
I still have the same random reboot problem, i checked the temperatures as well and that's not the problem since the crashes occured at temperatures like 70c for both the CPU and GPU.
I reinstalled Windows 10 to make sure that it's not a driver problem even though i used ddu before, still the same problem.
I also tried plugging my PC straight into a wall power socked instead of the multisocket i use normally, just in case the PC can't draw enough power, same problem.

Now i'm running out of ideas, any clue what could cause this?

My Specs:

i7 6700
XFX RX 580
2x 8GB DDR4
650 Watt PSU
The PSU is called "Inter-Tech Combat Power CP-650W plus"

I can't find a link to a page about the PSU that's not in german, sorry.

"

I replaced my old GTX 960 with a XFX RX 580 8GB and now it randomly reboots during gameplay.
Which model XFX RX 580 8GB ? There are at least 10.
If it is factory overclocked model, then try reducing overclock.

And turn off automatic reboot on system failure. You'll see BSOD with info about the problem, that causes reboot.

c04778889.jpg

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

I have the XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition.
I just changed the automatic reboot setting to off, i'll test and see what happens.

Mar 7, 2019
I changed the setting, it's still rebooting.

Before installing my older PSU i had reduced the power limit in AMD Wattman by about -20 and it worked.
I'll see about buying a new PSU soon, but until then is there anything else that could cause the problem?

Mar 7, 2019
THE LAST THING YOU DID TO YOUR COMPUTER WAS PUT IN A NEW GPU. AFTER DOING THAT YOUR COMPUTER STARTED A BOOTING LOOP. CONCLUSION, YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH POWER TO RUN THE COMPUTER WITH THAT GPU.
No the last thing i did to my computer was put a new PSU in. I went from a 450 Watt to a 650 Watt PSU. Also no need to type in caps, im not blind.