[SOLVED] Random Reboots During Games

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Just within the past week I've been experiencing random reboots from my PC. It primarily happens when I attempt to play a game, but has done it just a few times outside of that as well.

The main times I've experienced this:
1.) When I click the 'Hideout' section in Escape From Tarkov. I've had a loop happen where I click Hideout, it loads, and it reboots. Three times straight. Doesn't always happen - just sometimes.
2.) When I click 'Warzone' in CoD:MW. It goes to fetching profile info, and then once I actually am about to be in the lobby, my PC will reboot. Same thing as Tarkov. Reboot, try again. Reboot, try again. Eventually works.......
3.) Just now attempting to play the IW4X mod for Modern Warfare 2. I'd click a server, go to click on a class to spawn in, PC reboots. Back to back attempts just now.

I personally believe it to be the video card or power supply, but looking for any thoughts. I've also experienced very inconsistent coil whine recently. Not all the time, no rhyme or reason to it, just random coil whine that can be very loud at times.

Any input appreciated..

Solution
Thermaltake TR2 600W

It is 3+ years old. I've had to replace the fan inside of it as well as the old one was having issues.

The TR2s are a staple of "do not use" lists. Given the lack of an obvious culprit and the symptoms, I'd replace the PSU next. Ideally one of much better quality; this was not something to pair with a GPU that likely cost $400-$500 when you purchased it.

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Mobo: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Core i5 8600k
RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2400
GPU: ASUS GTX 1070
Main Boot Drive: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 NVMe
Spare Storage Drives: 250GB SSD (Sata) // 1TB HDD (Sata)
PSU: 650W Thermaltake PSU

DSzymborski

Titan
Thermaltake TR2 600W

It is 3+ years old. I've had to replace the fan inside of it as well as the old one was having issues.

The TR2s are a staple of "do not use" lists. Given the lack of an obvious culprit and the symptoms, I'd replace the PSU next. Ideally one of much better quality; this was not something to pair with a GPU that likely cost $400-$500 when you purchased it.

Solution

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013

Grabbing a Corsair CX750M today. Will let you know the outcome later tonight hopefully.

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Crossing my fingers! It would definitely be the cleanest solution to the issue as it's something I would have done under any circumstance!

So far, so good! I've just finished installing it and have been able to click around in Tarkov with no issues as well as CoD: Modern Warfare. Although it didn't always occur on my old PSU either.

Hopefully that's the case! Even if it keeps occuring, will end up needing the extra juice for the 3000 series cards. And being modular with the all black flat cables is a plus as well.

DSzymborski

Titan
So far, so good! I've just finished installing it and have been able to click around in Tarkov with no issues as well as CoD: Modern Warfare. Although it didn't always occur on my old PSU either.

Hopefully that's the case! Even if it keeps occuring, will end up needing the extra juice for the 3000 series cards. And being modular with the all black flat cables is a plus as well.

Yeah, if you're going for one of those, I'd have DEFINITELY upgraded! So if it works out, it's a good series of events.