Question Random reboots in Windows 11 but no data loss - why is this happening?

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
Every now and then, my PC would act is if it hard rebooted/crashed. That is all the monitors would go black for an instant (I have 3 connected), the PC would beep, and I would see the BIOS flash. I would curse thinking I lost all my work since my last save. But the really odd thing is after a second or two, instead of seeing the Windows login screen like would happen in the case of a BSOD, instead I would be back on my desktop, with all the Windows opened exactly how they were. This happened once while I had a game running on one screen and I was writing an e-mail halfway on another. When the Windows re-opened, the game was still running, the e-mail was still open to exactly where I was typing. If I had turned my back for a few seconds when this "reboot" happened, I would never even had known it occurred. This happens rarely, maybe once a week, but it freaks me out when it does happen. Why is this occurring, and what exactly is happening?

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
Check the Event Viewer -> Windows logs -> System and see if any thing looks off. Windows is usually good about logging power events.
Thanks. I didn't notice any power-related messages. I did see a couple of WHEA logger / fatal hardware errors (code 1) recorded in the logs, but they do not seem to be correlated with any BSOD. One thing is that this particular computer also gets bona fide BSODs from time to time which I am trying to troubleshoot, but the WHEA logger errors seem more common and I do not remember BSODs occurring at the time the WHEA logger error logs where generated.