[SOLVED] Random reboots --- is my ram stick bad?

Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

I upgraded my PC now after long deliberation to MSI Tomahawk Max (on which I flashed the latest BIOS) with Ryzen 3600. GPU for now is an old GTX950. Have s Corsair M2 ssd and a normal hdd.
In the beginning everything seemed fine. Posting with no issues right after assembly and windows installed without any problems.
I was messing with Ryzen master for a bit but decided to leave it stock because I didnt really understand it and I didnt see much improvement at all.
Memory is team group t force dark (2x 8gb) started out with 2400MHz and I adjusted via XMP to 3200MHz that they are rated for. Only XMP no other changes or voltage adjustment.

Since yesterday I am getting random reboots under load. Sometimes it posts, sometimes just a black screen. Also BSODs: memory management and nonpaged area when I run youtube + squad and maybe a few other things.
This made my suspect it would be memory related. Hence I tried one stick at a time in DIMM A2. With one the problems persists, with the other one they dont. Not really a scientific test just Squad plus browser but with the 'bad' stick it crashed every time sooner or later with the other one not.

Can I conclude that one stick is bad and RMA it or could there be other underlying issues that cause this issue, because first 2 days everything seemed fine??

What else could cause this instability? PSU is 750 but a bit old at this point but worked just fine on the old parts (overclocked old i5) before I upgraded. Should I maybe increase the DRAM voltage manually? Should I maybe revert to an earlier BIOS? Could my messing with Ryzen master damage my ram??

Your help and input would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Elias

Solution
hi, you can run memtest to determine if ram have issues or not
if u get errors, stop test (esc key), reboot to bios, disable XMP and run memtest again
if u still get errors then ram needs RMA, if you get no erros than XMP profile doesnt work with your mainboard, so u may need to adjust timings manually

if u get errors, stop test (esc key), reboot to bios, disable XMP and run memtest again
if u still get errors then ram needs RMA, if you get no erros than XMP profile doesnt work with your mainboard, so u may need to adjust timings manually

Solution
Nov 1, 2019

Sounds like plan. I'll give that a try and report back. Thank you!