Random Reboots (primarily occurs during gaming)

Alerion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Recently my computer (relatively new, built a few months ago) has been experiencing some random reboots out of nowhere. Here is what I have observed:

1. I've noticed that this always occurs 20-30 minutes into a light gaming session (fortnite, pubg, etc).
2. When not under heavy load, the reboots occur 6-7 hours into a work session or watching videos
3. I've been monitoring all my temperatures/load: CPU/GPU hovers around 35-40 degrees idle, 50-60 degrees under load
4. Event Viewer indicates that this is an "Event ID: 41 - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"

Specifications (nothing is overclocked atm):
CPU: i5-8600k
Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Extreme4
RAM: 2 x 8GB
GPU: 970 GTX
HDD Samsung Evo 960 NVMe 250 GB + Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB
PSU: Coolermaster V650 (semi-modular) + cablemod extensions

What I've done:
1. Reconnected/reseated the PSU/GPU/HDD/Motherboard
2. Ran chkdsk/memtest/virus scans + updated drivers
3. Monitored temps/usage + PSU wattage usage (all within normal range)

Based on research, people who are experiencing these reboot issues were known to have faulty PSUs. The V650 that I own is 3 years old and I'm using cablemod extensions to connect to my core components (mobo + GPU). However, it is known to be a reliable model so I don't believe this is causing the problem.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Looked at that picture and the 3,3V is on the edge of what is within atx specs and even over abit so want too ask can you test with another psu? maybe from a friend or local pc shop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
+3.3 ±5% (±0.165 V) +3.135 V (=min) to +3.465 V (=max)
i know most here say not to take software at face value when it comes to this,but it is still something to look at imo.Can test with a multimeter,but that wouldn't be under load.

Alerion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU but I am contemplating on buying another one...

Yesterday, I used a PSU tester and checked all the voltage rails/PG delays, all of them were within tolerance so I ruled it out and took out my gpu and ran my monitors via mobo hdmi/dvi instead. A few hours later and the reboots happened again, even with no graphics card. Also, with each reboot, it would occur in shorter intervals (time between reboots decreased from a few hours to a few minutes).

If all the voltage numbers are fine/stable, could it still be a PSU hardware issue?

Alerion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

These are basically the temps/voltages I am experiencing, all hardware have not been overclocked. Looks about normal?
https://imgur.com/a/UdRQhTT
(I believe for AUXTIN temps, people get false readings on this all the time)

I ran the memtest/intel processor diagnostic tool with no issues yesterday. CPU goes up to about 65 degrees under full load. However not long after the intel test, the usual restart symptoms started to occur again. At least now I know for a fact that these restarts only happen when the computer has been under load or has been in use for a long period of time (6 hours). If it is temperature related, the sensors are definately not detecting it properly.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at that picture and the 3,3V is on the edge of what is within atx specs and even over abit so want too ask can you test with another psu? maybe from a friend or local pc shop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
+3.3 ±5% (±0.165 V) +3.135 V (=min) to +3.465 V (=max)
i know most here say not to take software at face value when it comes to this,but it is still something to look at imo.Can test with a multimeter,but that wouldn't be under load.

Solution

Alerion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Might be too early to say, but I'm pretty confident that my previous PSU had a failing capacitor/power component that was causing these random restarts. I replaced it with an EVGA Supernova G2 650 watt, tested some benchmarks and played some games with no issues since yesterday.

I also wondered if it was the way my PC was set up that attributed to the power failure. I have an Inwin 303 case + 360mm radiator thats essentially exhausting hot air into the PSU intake. Pretty much looks like this (PSU is on the other side of the chamber):

https://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2016/05/in-win-303-review/inwin-303-10-300x292.jpg

What are your thoughts on this? Not sure if this good practice, but I'd be willing to spend some extra just take some additional precautions.

Anyways, really appreciate your advise Vic. I ended up learned a thing or two from troubleshooting.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think you just had bad luck with the other psu,as good as it can be. You could try to disable the third fan on the radiator,the one in front of the psu,see how much it influences temps. If all led fans will you really notice of course.