Random Reboots since installing MSI G3Ti200 Pro-TD

G

Since installing my G3Ti200 Pro-TD card last night, my system is experiencing random reboots, even when performing simple activities link using Windows Explorer or searching for files. I still have my case open, so heat shouldn’t be a problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what causes it and how to fix it?

My system was stable as a rock previously. The only changes that I made were upgrading the video card from a GeForce 2 GTS to the GeForce 3 Ti 200 and updating the video drivers from the standard XP drivers to the Detonator 21.83’s that came on the video card’s installation CD.

System Specs:
AMD T-Bird 900
Asus A7V Via K133 Chipset
MSI GeForce 3 Ti 200 video
21.83 Detonator Drivers
256mb SDRAM
SB Live Value
300W PSU
Win XP Home

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Could be a power problem. Do you have a name brand or just a generic 300W PSU? The newer 3D cards are powerhungry, and the GF3 more than the GF2.

Also, how stable were you with the drivers that came with the card? If those are more stable, stick with them.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

G

It's just a generic PSU. The 21.83 drivers that I'm currently running (or at least trying to) are the ones that came on my video card installation CD.

svol

Champion
You could try the 23.11 drivers from NVidia's site, but there is a great chance that it is caused by a to weak powersupply.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I had the same issue on my machine (TNT2 to GF2 TI though). It worked fine with Windows XP's native drivers, but the graphics sucked. I got good graphics from nVidia's Drivers but I got random reboots.

To make a long story short, I fixed the problem when I upgraded my motherboard. Since I changed was my CPU (PIII 666 - XP 1700+) & MB (Abit ??? - Gigabyte GA-7VTXH) And the problem dropped, I can only assume it WAS the MB.

Oh! And a customer of mine had the same problem with his, and a MB replacement fixed him as well.

Hope this helps.

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."