Random Reboots, Suspect PSU, Need a little advice

Reginald_Peach

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Hi all, I recently upgraded some components of my system, which now consists of the following:

Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3 Ghz (OC'ed to 4.3 GHz) (Processor - existing)

MSI P67A G-45 (Motherboard - existing)

Sapphire Radeon 7950 (Graphics card - NEW, upgrade from 6950)

2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 (Memory - New)

New Samsung 840 EVO SSD (addition to my existing 1TB HDD)

Raidmax 630W PSU that I bought years ago and just kept using.

MY ISSUE:

I did a clean install of Windows, etc. and decided I wanted to play the Witcher 2 to test out my new hardware, since it's supposed to be an amazing game. I can play for about 10-15 minutes before my PC just restarts. I've done a lot of reading, and it seems the PSU is the most likely candidate. I would have thought 630W was enough to handle all this. but maybe not. Perhaps it's just running out of life in general.

I am going to try replacing it, but I am not sure how much juice I need. I'd like to know how much would suffuce for my current setup, and in the event I want to double up on the graphics cards, I would like to get some idea of what that would take as well. thanks for any input; I don't know very much about PSU's.

Solution
Just because a psu says it's 650w does not mean it really is. Look on the side of the psu and see what the amperage rating is for the 12v rail(s). A quality 650w psu will typically have about 55a.

Raidmax is a low quality psu and should, IMO, only be used as a doorstop. 650w is plenty for your system, provided the psu is of good quality and well made. Brands such as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec and XFX all have great track records and are well received by the "gurus".

Mark
Just because a psu says it's 650w does not mean it really is. Look on the side of the psu and see what the amperage rating is for the 12v rail(s). A quality 650w psu will typically have about 55a.

Raidmax is a low quality psu and should, IMO, only be used as a doorstop. 650w is plenty for your system, provided the psu is of good quality and well made. Brands such as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec and XFX all have great track records and are well received by the "gurus".

Mark

Solution

Reginald_Peach

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Hah, interesting...I guess the flashy blue lights and flames on the side mean nothing! I will investigate the brands you mentioned. Thank you

Reginald_Peach

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

I did try putting the processor back to stock speeds, and I still got the reboots. Looking like the PSU is the target on this one. Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the flashing blue lights and flames can sometimes be taken literally with cheap psu's. They are prone to failure and will often times take your m/b, cpu, gpu along for the death ride. They have even been known to flame.

Never skimp on the price of a psu - it's the best insurance you can buy.

Mark