My computer has started to reboot randomly over the last 4 weeks. The computer had been running well for the previous 4 months with absolutely no issues.
Specs:
-ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
-Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
-1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
-80 GB WD HDD
-ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 8x AGP Video
-Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Sony DVD/CR-RW
-Sony DVD/DVR-R

History
-After a series of random reboots and numerous failed attempts to fix the problem I reinstalled XP PRO SP1 after reformatting the drive. It seems as though the problems started after some Service Packs were loaded. The previous version of Windows was XP PRO, all service packs were loaded via Windows update.
-I have tried both older versions of the ATI display drivers and the latest version from their web site.
-The problem does not seem to be related to heat. I have been monitoring the temperature very closely. The cpu and memory remain very close to 30 deg C. when not under heavy load. The computer has rebooted several times at this temp.
-I have run a load test/burn-in test several times (from passmark.com) successfully. When the computer was under heavy stress it performed well. In fact, it seems to do better when under heavy loads. I have yet to be able to replicate the problem under a heavy load.
- I have mini dumps available.
- I am currently trying to narrow down the problem by removing hardware.

I am an IT professional with over 9 years of experience, but I am stumped!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A few other bits of info:
- The 2 most common error message that I have seen (after turning off the auto-restart) are
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA"
- I have also run the diagnostics that came with the hard drive. No problems were found.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Matt R./ said:

> A few other bits of info:
> - The 2 most common error message that I have seen (after turning off the auto-restart) are
> "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA"
> - I have also run the diagnostics that came with the hard drive. No problems were found.

Drop in here...
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

chrism

Sorry, no real ideas, except, and I'm sure you have thought of this anyway
given your background, but seing as you haven't mentioned it: I assume you
have scanned for any viruses? Some of those will cause random re-boots...

Regards,

ChrisM

"Matt R." <mr9649@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer has started to reboot randomly over the last 4 weeks. The
computer had been running well for the previous 4 months with absolutely no
issues.
> Specs:
> -ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
> -Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
> -1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
> -80 GB WD HDD
> -ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 8x AGP Video
> -Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
> -Sony DVD/CR-RW
> -Sony DVD/DVR-R
>
> History
> -After a series of random reboots and numerous failed attempts to fix the
problem I reinstalled XP PRO SP1 after reformatting the drive. It seems as
though the problems started after some Service Packs were loaded. The
previous version of Windows was XP PRO, all service packs were loaded via
Windows update.
> -I have tried both older versions of the ATI display drivers and the
latest version from their web site.
> -The problem does not seem to be related to heat. I have been monitoring
the temperature very closely. The cpu and memory remain very close to 30
deg C. when not under heavy load. The computer has rebooted several times
at this temp.
> -I have run a load test/burn-in test several times (from passmark.com)
successfully. When the computer was under heavy stress it performed well.
In fact, it seems to do better when under heavy loads. I have yet to be
able to replicate the problem under a heavy load.
> - I have mini dumps available.
> - I am currently trying to narrow down the problem by removing hardware.
>
> I am an IT professional with over 9 years of experience, but I am stumped!

I am having the exact same issue with very similar hardware. I have:

-ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
-Intel 3.0 Ghz w/Hyperthreading
-1.0 GB DDR (PC3200) RAM
-120 GB WD HDD SATA
-120 GB WD HDD SATA
-ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 8x AGP Video
-Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Plextor PX708-A DVD writer

The system reboots at random times, quite often at night when nothing
should be going on. I have it clicked to NOT automatically reboot on
system errors, but it does so anyway often. I don't recall the exact
day this started, but my guess as well is a Windows update as the PC
had been running for months with no issues at all. It wasn't uncommon
for the PC to run for a month or more without needing a reboot.

I have gone and updated my drivers for my DVD writer, my soundcard, my
videocard, updated the motherboard BIOS and the problems still occur.
The error messages point to a driver, but don't say which one.

I run AVG anti-virus (paid version) and have scanned the system. I
have scanned with trend micro's on-line scanner as well. I've scanned
with spybot and ad-aware. I've run memtest86 and all seems fine.

Any ideas on what this could be? And, is it possible to uninstall the
lastest Microsoft updates?

Thanks,
Darren