Question Random reboots

Jan 28, 2020
Hi everyone, just joined to hopefully get more experienced people to look on my case. Last month I bought a new computer (all the parts) and built it myself. I began quickly to notice that my computer suddenly would reboot on its own without any warning. This only happens in a small selection of games such as Minecraft and Runescape 3. Sometimes it happen right away or maybe an hour or two. However, the driver has crashed in for example Overwatch. I cannot remember if it has rebooted on Youtube use etc.

What I have tried/speculations:
  • Different drivers (2019 versions and 2020 versions)
  • MemTest86 for three hours to test RAM, passed three tests with no errors
  • Prime95 for a couple of mins, no reboot
  • Heaven Benchmark for a couple of mins, no reboot
  • Swapped the PSU from my older PC, the Corsair CX750M
    • I could play runescape for 5-6 hours yesterday and thought that was the problem. This morning it happen 15 mins in Runescape.
  • Swapped the GPU with a nvidia 970, nothing happen for an hour, but it does not use same amount of power.
  • Boosted the computer from the power button, no power/light in keyboard or mouse
Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
  • RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Neo 32GB CL16 16-19-19-39 (I think they sent the wrong one, so I got 16-16-16-36)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT Red Devil
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018)
  • MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E
  • CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
  • FANS: 3x Noctua NF-12F & 2x Noctua NF-S12A
  • AIO: Deepcool Castle 360 RGB v2
Everything still has a warranty since the oldest piece is maximum six months (bought it when it was cheap).
I appreciate all suggestions and help! Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when the reboot happens my DisplayPort monitor turns back and my HDMI monitor turns green for a split second. Additional, all the cables are connected to only one outlet (power supply, two monitors, surround sound (usually off when playing) and a small fan).

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, and even information events that correspond with the reboots.

Also power down, unplug, and open the case.

Doublecheck that all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated.

There could just be a loose connection somewhere.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all components. Check the power connectors - ensure that all are fully and squarely in place.

Jan 28, 2020
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, and even information events that correspond with the reboots.

Also power down, unplug, and open the case.

Doublecheck that all cards, cables, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly seated.

There could just be a loose connection somewhere.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all components. Check the power connectors - ensure that all are fully and squarely in place.

I took everything apart except CPU and AIO for inspection and plugged everything back in to make sure it was squarely in place. I will let you know if it happens again.

Jan 28, 2020
It just happened again while playing for an hour or two.
When it occurred the audio of the game/youtube were still there, even when the monitors were black/green screen . The reboot took a bit longer than it usual did. Maybe one or two seconds could I hear the audio.

The Event Viewer consists of these events:
LevelDate and TimeSourceEvent IDTask Category
Error28/01/2020 20:37:47Kernel-EventTracing28Provider
Error28/01/2020 20:37:47Kernel-EventTracing28Provider
Critical28/01/2020 20:37:44Kernel-Power41(63)
Error28/01/2020 20:37:44volmgr161None

Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried to only use one RAM at the same to see if the reboot will occur, and it did in both of them, so I guess it has to be either the MOBO or the GPU. Furthermore, the GPU makes this ticker sound and my AIO RGB flickers and blinks.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019
Just from the fact you have been having random reboots/crashes probably indicates a PSU problem but it is further proven by your event logs.

'Kernel-Power'

"The Kernel-Power critical error, however, is not one you should ignore, as it could affect Windows stability. The Kernel-Power error (ID 41) error message states that the system has rebooted without first cleanly shutting-down. It can be caused if the system stops responding, crashes, or loses power unexpectedly. "
source: https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12891-how-to-fix-kernel-power-error

It's most probably a PSU( Power Supply Unit) Issue. However, go over the following just in case (If the things below don't work then your best bet is to buy a new PSU) make sure it has enough WATTS to supply all the components on your system in excess :

https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12891-how-to-fix-kernel-power-error

Jan 28, 2020
Sorry for the late respond. People kept mentioning the PSU, however, I tried another one (my old PSU, same 750W, another Corsair model) and it gave same result. Albeit, I tried increasing the FAN speeds a little and increasing it to 100% faster which solved the problem of crashing suddenly. My theory is that my graphics card got too hot and the fan's did not increase with it, therefore the temp of the motherboard was high and gave a shutdown (hence never shutting down in Overwatch since the temp of the GPU only reached 60 degrees.

However, first time today when I boosted up, the motherboard said 8d q-code ASUS, which is parity fault in the RAM. Forced it down, cut the power and it boosted. Weird.