Random restart Asus amd A10-7800

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Hi Its been at least 3 month now that I have a random restart problem... no BSOD at all, it just restart.... I have refresh windows10, re-install win10, update bios, update all driver, try with and without another videocard, change power supply, pc have been RMA and been told it was only dust in fan! I have disable turbo on cpu, disable c6 state, change power plan for 100% always on cpu. just nothing solve the thing... I've check event viewer and there no error when it restart... The only thing I haven't done is intall a 3rd party cooler/fan and paste. I include SS of HWiNFO & amd overdrive... is my temp ok?? are the voltage ok??? every program give me different reading for these so I'm a bit lost... Anyone can help??? mem86 tested = ok , all test by Asus for 3 days nonstop = ok

https://prnt.sc/ibzh2o

https://prnt.sc/ibzi10

Solution
I had several other random restart after 3 days with VPN, wireless or cable..... I was about to give it up and throw the pc up the windows since I've broke the guarantee sticker..... I've decide to clean re-install win10 and surprise Nasty restart have gone.... What I did different is not installing the 2 programs I've always install and use.. (I did uninstall them before RMA thats why they didnt have restart) the faulty program was either Chrome or Lightshot or the 2 together... now a week+ without restart... very happy :bounce:
I'd run a memory test, you could have a bad stick. You say you changed power supplies, but you don't say what you started with or what you changed to. In my experience random reboots are caused by a component not installed fully, a power supply issue, a cable or cables not properly connected, or a component that is failing.

By the way, a power supply issue could be a problem with the power coming out of the outlet, not just the power supply in your computer. Fluctuations in your AC power could cause a reboot.

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018

I did a mem86 test over 1 night and no error... I have change 350w to 600w, I will defenitively try another power outlet.... didn't think of that, and I've check the event viewer and when Asus had the pc for 1 week it didn't restart at all ( no kernel error)... the power outlet and the power cable was the only different thing they used!!! thx a lot I will update ASAP if it solve the restart!!

* as the restart are pretty random I will update as soon as a restart occur Or after 4-5 days of no restart ( it occurs at least each 2 days)

jr9

Estimable
If these parts are confirmed OK:

RAM, verified with MEMTEST
PSU, verified by PSU change
GPU, verified by removing GPU and it still crashes
Windows or malware, verified by fresh reinstall
Wall outlet, verified by using a different wall outlet. Also try a different power cable if you didn't.

if none of that works it probably the motherboard.

The info in those programs you are using is completely out to lunch especially the motherboard voltages. On old AMD systems getting reliable readings can be difficult. HWInfo is unusable on older AMD systems. 1.9V on the 3.3V means the PC wouldn't even be running. CPU at 18C and the package being 67C? Nope.

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Ok I've had a random restart this morning, so it's not the wall outlet as I'm on a completely different circuit ( or its all the house power which I highly doubt).... I have change power cable hoping it's the cause.... my pc is not very old so I really hope its that and not the motherboard... so :

Ram --> OK / MEMTEST overnight & removed and replace to make sure they're properly in place
Power supply ---> ok / changed from 350w to 600w
GPU --> ok / Tried both onboard and PCIe
Windows --> ok Clean re-install at least 2x
Bios and drivers updated --> ok
wall outlet --> ok tried 2 different outlet on 2 different circuit
Power cable --> Pending (just changed to another one)

Bought the pc around august 2017.... ran nicely with no restart until about end november 17 - mid december 17 with no change in hardware or anything else.
Pc have been RMA on January 17th 2018 for a week of intense testing without any restart, it was also dust cleaned.... whats differ from Asus repair center and my home setup??? wall outlet, power cable (I didn't sent mine) and my UPS

I am also wondering, cause I'm still using my old UPS but restart occurs with tower plug into UPS and plug not in UPS but in same wall outlet than the UPS!! can it be my UPS that cause fluctuation in wall outlet?? If restart occurs again it's really my last resort since I've open the tower and break that silly warranty sticker......

Again THX all for your help ant Thx jr9 for the heads up on voltage and temp

*** update ***
I've removed my APC UPS... I was plugged into surge protection only anyway!!! I've replace it with an IBM surge protection power bar!!!

Finger crossed

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
I think I may finally found the defective hardware!!! today I've created a windows 10 bootable usb so I can fix win on my niece laptop... put the key in front left usb, heard the sound but just nothing appear, even in file explorer it didn't appear... so I've put the key in the right usb, heard sound plus file explorer open the usb key automatically. I've tried again in the left one, same, sound but no key.... I have disconnect the front panel from MB......

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018

I've had another restart... must be the motherboard or processor... the only last thing I wanna know.. when it restart last time Ive check the router log and I was under DDoS teardrop attack... can it make a pc restart? My son always playing xbox one and yelling at other player so maybe its been a long time that we get attack... its now have been more that 12 hrs under attack

jr9

Estimable
No internet based attack would be able to completely reset your PC instantly like that. At worst it would either BSOD or lock up. You could disconnect the Ethernet/WiFi from the crashing and it see if it crashes.

Complete resets where the PCs just shuts off like a light is generally only ever caused by failing hardware. If this is an OEM prebuilt machine I would actually RMA it again and state that it randomly resets. The PC is supposed to work out of the box. If you buy any more parts for this PC you are just guessing. Not recommended and you shoudln't even have to. A PC shop would also be able to perform a better diagnostic for you as well.

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
48 hrs without internet = 48 hrs without reset!!! I start thinking about installing VPN on the router... more $$ to spend but never another situation like that :)

l_indien

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
I had several other random restart after 3 days with VPN, wireless or cable..... I was about to give it up and throw the pc up the windows since I've broke the guarantee sticker..... I've decide to clean re-install win10 and surprise Nasty restart have gone.... What I did different is not installing the 2 programs I've always install and use.. (I did uninstall them before RMA thats why they didnt have restart) the faulty program was either Chrome or Lightshot or the 2 together... now a week+ without restart... very happy :bounce:

Solution