Question Random restarting

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Hello,

I have read many articles on here over the years and this is my first time asking question. From reading I can see a few people have this same problem but that it can be caused by many different things. Given that, I will ask my question afresh and hopefully find an answer to my problem in a systematic way. I am a little desperate at the moment.

Ok, my computer has been randomly restarting for the last three months, or so. At first is was every few weeks, then once a week, then twice a week and now, it can be a few times a day.

I have tested the hard drive with Windows and with a program Crystal Disk. So I think it is not that? I have ran the Tron computer cleaner program and it returned no problems, (I can post a screen saver of this) but I did get a message warning saying, "SIVX32.exe - Bad Image... not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error"... etc. (I can post a screen saver of this also)

I have deleted a few Windows updates around the time it started but I'm not sure how many or if should I delete them all from now until the time it started? (I can post a screen saver of the update I have deleted).

I've ran command prompts "Scannow", "checkhealth", etc... all say things are good.

I've changed a few Windows setting like "Turn off Auto restart", etc... from the standard "Googled" answers you find.

I would be very grateful if someone with computer knowledge, (which I am not) can assist me/point me in the right direction so that I can find out for sure if this is software or hardware... or both?

Many thank.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
A black one? (Just a joke to relieve my stress)

Hi, I hope this helps. If not please advise what other info you need. These numbers are taken from a GPU test I did with 3DMark.

GPU. Radeon RX 580 series.
CPU. AMD A8-6600K with Radeon HD
GUI. v2.14 7042 s64
System Info. v5. 31 .859

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
A black one? (Just a joke to relieve my stress)

Hi, I hope this helps. If not please advise what other info you need. These numbers are taken from a GPU test I did with 3DMark.

GPU. Radeon RX 580 series.
CPU. AMD A8-6600K with Radeon HD
GUI. v2.14 7042 s64
System Info. v5. 31 .859

Okay, well the first thing you would want to do is to actually install a fresh windows update. It might just be glitching out because of outdated firmware (although I'm not entirely sure, I'm not exactly a software kinda guy) Secondly, go to AMD's website, and install new drivers for your gpu . It should be here for the gpu: https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580. Download the proper ones (the ones in accordance with your exact gpu model, you might have to find a different webpage than mine), extract them, and run the program within the file. It should do a clean reboot, and things might get working again.

Good luck!

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Please forgive my lack of computer savy... but just to be clear, what does
actually install a fresh windows update
mean? Does that mean to delete all available Windows updates and then update a fresh?

I have been in "Windows settings", then "Windows-Update" and after clicking the "check for updates" tab, it tells me everything is up to date?

There is a "view optional updates" below the "check for updates tab"? In it there are no Windows updates, but there is an AMD driver update, dated 30/8/2017?... That date is before I got the Radeon RX 580?

Last edited:

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Please forgive my lack of computer savy... but just to be clear, what does
mean? Does that mean to delete all available Windows updates and then update a fresh?

I have been in "Windows settings", then "Windows-Update" and after clicking the "check for updates" tab, it tells me everything is up to date?

There is a "view optional updates" below the "check for updates tab"? In it there are no Windows updates, but there is an AMD driver update, dated 30/8/2017?... That date is before I got the Radeon RX 580?

Ok, well it seems like you are up to date on your Windows updates.

When I said to update drivers, I meant to click on the link I sent above, and download the file. Open it up, and run the file. That should make your drivers up to date, and could fix the issue.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
When I said to update drivers, I meant to click on the link I sent above,

I will do that next. I just thought I'd mention the "additional update" tab below "Check for updates" tab had a AMD driver update in it. Just incase that maybe had a significance because it's AMD. It must be just a coincidence.

Ok I will get back to you after I've updated from the link you sent.

Thanks.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Ok I download the most recent "recommended" update. It is from 26th May 2020. There are more recent "optional" updates? Are these worth downloading?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

Please can you explain what exactly the drivers and software on this page are and do? I don't know much about all this.

I already have some AMD Radeon software installed that I updated recently. Is what I just downloaded, something extra I should have downloaded when first getting the GPU?

Anyway, now I play the waiting game, to see if the restarting stops.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Ok I now understand what the drivers are on that page. I've now downloaded the most recent driver, so lets see. I think I'd downloaded an older driver the other day, sorry.

I would like to add some information that might give someone an insight into what's happening to me.

Around the time this restarting began, twice over a period of a month, I accidently powered off the PC at the wall switch, while the PC was going through the "Shut down" process.

I was going out to work in the morning and in a hurry. I clicked the "Shut down" tab and went to get my things together. 2 to 3 mins later I came back, thinking the computer had shut down, turned the power off at the wall but it still was shutting down. It was around this time my problem began.

I'm not sure what this can damage but please if anyone has an idea please post your thoughts. Maybe something has been corrupted? Windows, drivers..?