Sep 16, 2019
Dell XPS 8700
Proccessor: Intel core i7-4790 @3.6GHz 4 cores, 8 logical processors
RAM: crucial 32GB DDR3
Hard drive: ATA ST1000DM003-1ER1
Video card: GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
Power supply: Corsair RMx 850W
BIOS: Dell inc A14, 5/31/2019

I am the furthest thing from a computer expert so any help is appreciated.

I upgraded my power supply and video card on my work computer and since then it randomly restarts 3-6 times a day. It'll restart even when the computer is just sitting there and i'm away from my desk. This morning I logged in and it restarted before I could start doing anything.

We originally bought a 600W power supply but then upgraded to the 850W hoping it would solve it. We also took 2 sticks of ram out, it restarted, then took those 2 sticks out and put the other 2 in and it restarted again. So i dont think its bad RAM.

I updated my video card drivers many times.

I get no warning message of any kind when this happens.

Solution
RAM can always be an issue. I had the same issue with my motherboard and when I slotted the RAM into the other 2 slots it worked fine and no problems since. Funnily enough now that I have added another 2 sticks I still have no issues.

It could be something as simple as clearing your CMOS or a BIOS up date but the BIOS update is always last resort for me.
Sep 16, 2019
Yesterday I switched the 2 sticks of RAM to the other two slots and havent had any restarts since. It could be a coincidence. Is it possible that one of the RAM slots went out on my motherboard?

RAM can always be an issue. I had the same issue with my motherboard and when I slotted the RAM into the other 2 slots it worked fine and no problems since. Funnily enough now that I have added another 2 sticks I still have no issues.

It could be something as simple as clearing your CMOS or a BIOS up date but the BIOS update is always last resort for me.

Reactions: Mykreign
Solution

TRENDING THREADS