Random restarts after motherboard "upgrade"

separatim

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Hello,
I upgraded to an ASRock ab350m Pro4 from their ab350m HDV model and I'm experiencing reboots at idle. It started after I had a power surge at my house. I heard a pop but the computer booted up anyway. After about an hour it started rebooting every 2-5 mins. I only let this happen 3 times before I replaced the PSU. Everything was great, it seemed, till about 5 hours later it rebooted itself and then did it again. I reinstalled the CPU and I haven't experienced it since then. I also didn't OC it like I had on The HDV (3600) or The pro4 before The power surge. The only thing I can think of is my overclock. But the HDV could handle it. You'd think the Pro4 could. Any suggestions on what this could be or if anyone knows if the more updated BIOS for HDV models has something to do with it. The HDV has a 4.8 release and the pro4 is only up to 4.7. Oh, and my M.2 is rated at 1800ms, I'm getting 650ms and when I tried to install the RAID drivers it said it won't because it would make my m.2 unbootable. Please help. 1st time builder.
ASRock ab350m Pro4
Ryzen 5 1600 (sapphire boost auto OC 3400)
Sapphire RX 580 special
G.Skill Flare X 2933 (OC 3200 ran stable on HDV) 16gb
ADATA M.2 128gb
SanDisk 120gb SSD
Hitachi 750gb HDD
Toshiba 2tb HDD
Corsair CX650M PSU

For first time builder, I suggest you always use a Surge Protector. It doesn't have to be the best nor the cheapest. You can get a good one for $20-25 when they are on sale.

As for the "pop" you heard, I would examine the motherboard for visible damage. It may have been something inside the power supply. You might be able to file a warranty claim.

separatim

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Mobo looked fine. Only thing I found is this little yellow sticker that's supposed to be covering an m.2 standoff..not on the standoff. The thermal compound didn't seem to be holding up either. It was "patchy" like it was disentigrating. It's mx4. I reapplied but it seems the stock compound held up way better. I did put in a claim to corsair. Do you suggest I do the same for the Mobo? It's only a week old.