[SOLVED] Random restarts after power surge

Circle

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Curious what others think the problem may be. After a power surge which ended up killing a few other electronic devices, my computer randomly restarts. It happens infrequently, at first it was more common the restarts would occur in 4-24hrs but now it's closer to once or twice a week, it has even gone for a couple months without restarts, they usually occur while idle but has happened on occasion in use. Another problem that started to happen a month or so later is my mouse, will occasionally stop working for a couple secs at a time until I restart the computer. Other possible relevant details surge killed the power supply and was replaced, devices that were connected to the routers lan were affected and 2 ports on the router are now dead, including the one this computer used to be hooked too. There hasn't been any ethernet related issues however.

The power surge happened in August last year. The Issue overall is pretty minor since it doesn't happen often enough to be much of annoyance

My guess is the power surge messed with the motherboard but curious what others have to say.

Main reason I'm asking now. I was considering upgrading the graphics card but worried the problem of the computer could potentially negatively effect connected devices. So I wanted to see if I could sort it out.

My Computer
Windows 7 + Antergos(Linux)[Restarts happen within either OS but haven't confirmed mouse issue in linux]
i5-2500
8 GB DDR3 (2x 4GB Dimms)
ADATA SP550 SSD(Both OS's are installed here)
2 HDD 1TB + 620GB
GTX 750 ti
PSU SeaSonic M12II 620
Mouse Logitech G603

Solution
If you can list your specs of your computer
and be sure of your second PSU specs - maybe just removing the GPU from your computer would be enough to test it.
The PSU is the easiest thing to change without too many problems... otherwise it could be Mobo, which is harder to change out and less likely to have a spare laying around.

Circle

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
There is a 5 year warranty on that PSU

Could be hard to rule one way or the other unless it does in fact restart but will have to consider doing so. Not sure if the one spare PSU that could be connected is good enough to run the full system however. It's from an old dell core2 system think it may not have enough sata hook ups and it's around 200w-250w I think

If you can list your specs of your computer
and be sure of your second PSU specs - maybe just removing the GPU from your computer would be enough to test it.
The PSU is the easiest thing to change without too many problems... otherwise it could be Mobo, which is harder to change out and less likely to have a spare laying around.

Solution