Info Random restarts and BSOD's on 7950x system

SilkyD

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
I just thought I'd post about some issues I had been experiencing and what I did to solve them in case this helps anyone out with a new Ryzen 7950x build that suffers from BSODs, random black screen restarts and no error messages on event viewer to provide any troubleshooting information. TLDR: Make sure you update the BIOS with all new AM5 boards!

Specs:
Ryzen 7950x
3080 FE
Asus ROG Strix b650E
32 GB Corsair Vengence 6000mhz

I recently swapped out some hardware from a b550 5600x build to the latest specs. Initially had some small issues booting windows, but that seemed to resolve itself somehow. The system picked up where I had left off and worked fine. However, in games, I would get fairly regular CTDs. These were unpredictable and didn't seem to only occur when the CPU and GPU were under high load. Performing a full driver refresh with DDU didn't help so the only thing I could put it down to only using a 750W PSU that was probably too low power to sustain the hardware as underpowering the 3080 seemed to help. Replaced the PSU with a 1200W to make sure it wouldn't be an issue again in the future.

This was when the real headache started. After swapping out the PSU I started to get lots of random restarts. The system wouldn't powerdown, but would go straight back to the boot screen and reload windows. There was no identifiable cause for this. So I googled and found a LTT video about this and tried the things they suggested (using event viewer to find errors and changes to BIOS settings), but this didn't help. I reinstalled drivers which also didn't help, updated windows, did a fresh windows install, checked the seating of my RAM and CPU, cleared the CMOS, if anything this all made it all worse, with now constant BSOD's, Windows load failures even in safe mode. All guides seemed to suggest that if all the above steps had been taken then there was possibly an issue with the hardware.

Then I found a discussion on here with a similar issue, and someone suggested updating the BIOS. At this point I had no other option because I couldn't load windows to try any other fixes. So used an old laptop to load a new BIOS flash and now everything works perfectly fine! Obviously the adoption of new 1st gen hardware is always going to toss up issues. I just assumed I would see these issues from the start, rather than when I upgraded the PSU. I assumed I had broken some key component on the motherboard in the process and was about to give up. Obviously whatever the issues were with the BIOS have been fixed. Thankfully this new £1000 upgrade finally works exactly as intended, rather than giving me a sickening feeling that I'd broken some sort of warranty and was about to loose a lot of money!

Lutfij

Titan
I recently swapped out some hardware from a b550 5600x build to the latest specs. Initially had some small issues booting windows,
Most people who do come around here, who do perform an upgrade from a prior platform, salvaging their OS drives without reinstalling the OS is what is the first thing people tangle their hairs in. BIOS updates are necessary for sure to ensure minimum disruptions but they should work out of the box, regardless of what you have to work with.

Last thing to point out, as I've come to learn, higher spec'd ram on a brand new platform would require the end user to accept that they're going to be the guinea pig(of sorts) as they are early adopters in latest generation tech.