Question Random restarts and getting stuck in bootloop

Aug 25, 2019
I recently had to reset my computer because it got stuck in an infinite boot loop. It's been about two to three weeks since then and now my computer has started to randomly reboot itself (often when waking from sleep, but sometimes just out of the blue no matter if I'm doing something or if it's idle) and gets stuck in mini loops that last for 2-5 restarts. It will sometimes reboot without loading into Windows proper, but most of the time it will load Windows and even allow me to log in and open programs before rebooting again. It will also sometimes fail to recognise either my keyboard or my mouse after restarting or waking up from sleep, though I don't know if that's related.

The loops only happen occasionally, so far about once every third or fourth day, and will end without me doing anything special.

When it restarts it'll generate an event with event-ID 41, but all the values will be 0 and there seems to be no additional event that provides any more information.

The computer is not OC, I’ve run Windows memory diagnostic, checked the CPU temp, cleaned out the case, checked the hard drives with CrystalDiskMark and checked the PSU voltages. I ended the first infinite loop by booting Ubuntu from a USB but haven’t tried it since then.

Specs:
Win10
Prime Z370-A
Intel i5 8600K
2x Corsair 8 GB
CM B2 500
SSD 240GB OCZ Arc 100
HDD Seagate 1TB ST1000DM003
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
External devices are an USB BT receiver and a corded mouse and keyboard.

Edit: It happened again so I tried the Ubuntu USB again and the loop is still interrupted if I boot from the USB. Ubuntu worked as it should while I was using it, but the loop started back again as soon as I changed back to booting from my normal drive.

As mentioned the loop may or may not let me boot Windows, and I also just discovered that if I manage to boot Windows I can usually trigger a new reboot by opening Chrome. Sometimes it happens as soon as I try to launch it and sometimes it'll wait until I try to access a website or restore my tabs. The same thing does not happen when I launch Edge or Spotify or try to access my local files.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Yeah, I kinda figured it's either that or that my SSD is messed up in some way. It's just weird that the issue seems to have sprung up out of nowhere and doesn't have a clear trigger since my current setup is 1.5 years old by now and I haven't been doing anything different with it lately.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS