Random Restarts And PSU opinion/Troubleshooting help

von doom 393

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Alrighty so I'm getting random restarts (no warning or blue screen of death) usually when playing games other times its just random it also happens when playing in browser games. I am able to replicate the problem pretty much instantly when i try to run a gpu stress test.

As I have not really experienced something like this before i did some googling and found so many different opinions on this some of it was specific to the build of that person so i thought posting my specs might give someone the chance to help me more.

I am pretty certain its not my RAM as i tried one ram stick at a time and was able to duplicate the issue, same with hard drive i cloned to another hard rive i had laying around still the same issue.
Also not sure if it is relevant but when i first found out it was happening i did temp checks and noticed my cpu was heating to the point where it was causing a system restart. I applied more thermal paste which helped a lot but it seems that it still goes to about 80 under half load (which isn't high enough to force my computer to reboot) I'm organising a couple more fans as i only had one in the first place. Gpu doesn't go above 60 under load.

I am not sure if i left anything out but here are my specs.

THERMALTAKE TT-500NL2NK-A 500W POWER SUPPLY
https://www.clubelectronic.ca/en/power-supply/432-thermaltake-tt-500nl2nk-a-500w-power-supply.html

GIGABYTE GA-H97M-Gaming 3 MOTHERBOARD

Intel Core i7-4790 CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 GPU

ASUS DRW-24D3ST

Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 - hard drive - 2 TB - SATA 6Gb/s]

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

no overclocking or anything like that done to it, if theres any more questions about the system let me know as I'm really not sure if there is anything else that needs to be mentioned as i am not an expert at this stuff, quite the opposite really haha...

Edit: Also here is an image of the error I am getting when i look in event viewer.
https://postimg.org/image/mw9u8htxb/

Solution
That PSU is more of an expensive paper weight and is the main cause of the issue. The GTX750(or Ti) requires about 300W of power and if the system reboots under a load scenario then it's the PSU. Other underlying factors to rule out:
1| Run memtest86 for at least 10 passes and see if the system reboots or shows any errors
2| Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date as well as your graphics drivers. You will need to use DDU to uninstall the existing drivers and reinstall using the latest drivers from Nvidia.
3| Are you on the stock cooler?

Lutfij

Titan
That PSU is more of an expensive paper weight and is the main cause of the issue. The GTX750(or Ti) requires about 300W of power and if the system reboots under a load scenario then it's the PSU. Other underlying factors to rule out:
1| Run memtest86 for at least 10 passes and see if the system reboots or shows any errors
2| Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date as well as your graphics drivers. You will need to use DDU to uninstall the existing drivers and reinstall using the latest drivers from Nvidia.
3| Are you on the stock cooler?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS