[SOLVED] Random Restarts - Fresh Build

Mar 25, 2022
Specs: Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ATX
Ripjaw V Series 32GB (2 x16) DDR4 3600 (MODEL: 3600c16D-32gVKC)
Corsair RM850x
Good afternoon,
Recently I rebuilt my PC to take it from an SFF case to a full size case - ever since I did this I've had random restarts when under load, specifically gaming.
I've tuned down the graphics in my games which seems to have minimized the issue - I'm considering it's either a RAM compatibility issue or power quality of this PSU just can't cut it?
This is a recent rebuild - where I upgraded to the new CPU and swapped from an ASUS B550-I, I did do a completely fresh install of windows and I've updated the BIOS as well to the latest version Asrock offers for my board. NVIDIA Drivers are also up to date and I had the same issue using older drivers.
The RAM is set to XMP and I've set the Flck to match the RAM speed and that did not resolve the issue either so kinda ruling the RAM out maybe?
Unfortunately I can't seem to capture anything in the event viewer other than this particular error:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 6
The details view of this entry contains further information.
Possible I've just got a board that isn't playing nice with my components?
I've done a fair amount of google searching before coming here, and some of the results pointed that maybe my CPU isn't playing nice with my MOBO - but I'm not experienced enough to make a good conclusion out of any of this.

Solution
What cpu cooler are you using?
Check cpu and gpu temperatures during gaming. Use MSI afterburner to monitor temperatures.

You may want to run memtest86 to check ram stability.

Also disable auto restart on system failure. Should catch BSOD. That will provide some additional info about the issue.

how-to-enable-disable-automatic-restart-when-bsod-error-is-encountered-in-windows-10-picture-3-e4hlKqvES.jpg

https://tipsmake.com/how-to-enable-...-when-bsod-error-is-encountered-in-windows-10
Mar 25, 2022
What cpu cooler are you using?
Check cpu and gpu temperatures during gaming. Use MSI afterburner to monitor temperatures.

You may want to run memtest86 to check ram stability.

Also disable auto restart on system failure. Should catch BSOD. That will provide some additional info about the issue.

how-to-enable-disable-automatic-restart-when-bsod-error-is-encountered-in-windows-10-picture-3-e4hlKqvES.jpg

https://tipsmake.com/how-to-enable-...-when-bsod-error-is-encountered-in-windows-10
Thanks for your reply,

I am using an ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 - I've been monitoring CPU temps thinking it could be the issue but I've only seen spikes of around 60C and that's under a 100% load during stress testing, or after awhile of gaming.

I have disabled that option as well - it still just randomly goes to a black screen and then a reboot.

Mar 25, 2022
this is the cpu list for your board check if you see yours in some have rev number after them for support and use whocrashed to see if it detect any minidump could be a driver issue .
I do not see a CPU list?

I did install the latest drivers from AMD and Asrock - but it did only starting when swapping to this current MOBO and PSU.

Mar 25, 2022
That would point to a problem with either PSU or graphics card.
Your GPU is factory overclocked. Reduce GPU overclock to Nvidia reference clocks.
Is there a reliable way to make a trend of power or clocks to see if there's a certain point where it will crash?

I'm assuming I can use EVGAs app to lower the clocks to NVIDIA reference and go from there?

Odd question as well- I hear a fair bit of coil whine at times from the GPU since swapping PSUs, is that indicative of a problem?

Mar 25, 2022
That would point to a problem with either PSU or graphics card.
Your GPU is factory overclocked. Reduce GPU overclock to Nvidia reference clocks.
I reduced the OC to Nvidia Reference and still the same issue - it seems to get worse the longer my PC is on which leads me to believe I'm tripping something in the PSU and once it trips the first time for the day it just gets worse from there.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
first you have latest bios on board the log in it and remove the xmp then restart system after use occt to stress test your psu take not of voltages before and on test you couls use hwinfo and made a log off it you could read after for the gpu use the gpu-z rendering option and hw info will tell power in system fans speed and temps report any bad result up and made sure cpu receiving the right voltage from psu

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022
first you have latest bios on board the log in it and remove the xmp then restart system after use occt to stress test your psu take not of voltages before and on test you couls use hwinfo and made a log off it you could read after for the gpu use the gpu-z rendering option and hw info will tell power in system fans speed and temps report any bad result up and made surecpu receiving the right voltage from psu
Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to spot what would be a red flag in the logging I did - what would you recommend as a way to share the results and get better input on the issue? I did an hour test and recorded the entire thing with HWINFO.