Question Random restarts Kernel 41 followed by Whea 17 error (GPU?)

ShinyShing

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Hey, this is a problem I've had for a while in my first PC build that I've been trying to figure out but have been unable to. Like once a day my PC will randomly restart (just shuts off instantly, fans turn off etc, then the fans start going again and it restarts). Sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to restart again and it will remain 'off' but with the power button still active for a bit, other times it's instant.

I'll get a Kernel 41 error (Bugcheckcode = 0), no blue screen and no dump files generated (I turned off restart on system error as well). Immediately after the system turns on I get a Whea Logger 17 error "A corrected hardware error has occured" 3 times in a row. I just realized the component ID matches my graphics card. I'm not sure if the GPU has the error as a result of the restart or if it's what's causing it?

I initially thought it was my PSU due to loose wires (some of the connections from the PSU to motherboard etc were loose) but I tightened them and it's still happening. I also updated my drivers etc. No temperature issues seem to be present.

The build is like 4 and a half months old and this has only been happening for 2-3 months, though I did have an issue at the start with shutdowns due to a loose kettle cable that came with my PSU (I got a new one from the manufacturer and that stopped that particular issue, but this one started shortly after that)

My parts: (Windows 10, latest update)

Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Gaming X

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3600

GPU: Asus Geforce RTX 2060

RAM: Corsair DDR4 3200 (2x8GB) (ran memtest, seems OK)

1TB HDD and 500GB SSD (ran disc check, they seem OK)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80 Plus Gold 550W

Additional note, my boyfriend has the EXACT same PC build and BIOS version and has no issues. I've been thinking of swapping PSU to see if that fixes the issue but because of the GPU implications now I'm not sure if that's it.

Help would be greatly appreciated (I'm desperate!)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You posted this thread in the Power Supplies section yet you forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in the body of the thread. Please include that.

Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? I'd look at the PSU as the culprit but it's based on assumption since I can't tell if you have a bad PSU model. Yes, it'd be a good idea if you could source a reliably built PSU with more wattage than you need to see if the experience is the same.

ShinyShing

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
You posted this thread in the Power Supplies section yet you forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in the body of the thread. Please include that.

Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? I'd look at the PSU as the culprit but it's based on assumption since I can't tell if you have a bad PSU model. Yes, it'd be a good idea if you could source a reliably built PSU with more wattage than you need to see if the experience is the same.

Sorry about that, I thought I included those details but I missed them! My PSU is one of the more expensive EVGA ones and should have sufficient wattage. My BIOS isn't updated but my bf's isn't either and we have the exact same build, and he hasn't experienced these issues. I want to rule out other issues before I risk updating it.

TRENDING THREADS