[SOLVED] Random restarts - loud noise - have to unplug to be able to start again.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi all.

I bought a used Hp Prodesk 600 G1. This is the timeline of the events:

• I bent a few pins on the motherboard (CPU socket).
  • PC would not turn on.
  • I straightened the Pins and pressed the CMOS button (jumper?).
  • PC turned on, though the initial HP screen comes up twice.
  • I installed Linux.
  • All worked nice the whole day (2-3 hours).
  • Next morning the PC was on, (even though, I think, it was switched off at night!).
  • Shortly after, if made a loud noise (all fans at full, really loud) and screen went black.
  • PC would turn off and on.
  • I removed the battery and turned off the PC, waiting till the internal green light went off.
  • Note: It was not due to having to cool off. 1 time, I waited for 1 hour and it would not turn off until I unplugged. An other time I unplugged it instantly and it worked again.
  • It started again fine.
  • 3 hours later, same problem.
A TL;DR of the current problem:
  • When I plug it the PC from a new, it boots automatically, even without me switching it on.
  • It boot cycles 2-3 times.
  • Then it works 2-3 hours.
  • It goes off with a loud noise and does not start again (nothing happens when I press the power button) until I full power off the system (plug out, wait 10 sec).
  • Cycle repeats.
What could it be? CPU? CMOS? BIOS? PSU? Memory (I ran an internal test. It started very slow, said 7 min. After about 2-3 min it went very fast and finished. Said no problems. Everything checked out fine)?
Any ideas?

Cheers.

Solution
I think I have solved it. I think it is the bios trying to update via the internet that is causing some issue. I turned that off in BIOS and it seems to be stable now (no reboot in 2 days and counting). I kind hope that is it :).

Anyway, if anyone has the same issue, maybe also something to try.

Cheers.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
I think I have solved it. I think it is the bios trying to update via the internet that is causing some issue. I turned that off in BIOS and it seems to be stable now (no reboot in 2 days and counting). I kind hope that is it :).

Anyway, if anyone has the same issue, maybe also something to try.

Cheers.

Solution