Question Random restarts w/ black screens and high fan RPM

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
This has been ongoing for a few months, rarely occurring until yesterday evening it happened three times in a row while gaming. What happens is usually at random, only happening once a month or so, my screens go black, sound persists, and my fans jump up in RPM (haven't confirmed which fans exactly). I have to power off and restart my PC and usually don't have to worry about it for another month. This has occurred while playing various games or while my PC is just idling with a web browser open only. Just last night, while playing Escape From Tarkov, this happened to me three times in a row (with a 10-15 min gap between each shut off). On the final shut off, I replugged my power cable and didn't run into the issue again.

Before I send my PSU to RMA, is there any testing/troubleshooting I can do to ensure that it is indeed my issue? All signs point towards it being the problem, but I don't have a secondary PC so I'd like to confirm it is indeed my issue before I'm out of a computer for a few weeks.

The PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M that I ordered 5/8/19.

Here's the rest of my PC specs:

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 39 °C Matisse 7nm Technology RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1596MHz (22-22-22-53) Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) (AM4) 33 °C Graphics ASUS VP249 (1920x1080@59Hz) HP w2338h (1920x1080@59Hz) 4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 Fury Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 37 °C Storage 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA ) 29 °C 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 (SATA ) 29 °C 1863GB Hitachi HP SSD EX950 2TB (Unknown (SSD)) 3725GB Western Digital WD Elements 25A3 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 32 °C Optical Drives No optical disk drives detected Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Seems either your ram isn't running at rated specs or whatever tool you used for that speclist is reading it wrong. Can try the next way as well,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Seems either your ram isn't running at rated specs or whatever tool you used for that speclist is reading it wrong. Can try the next way as well,
I wouldnt be surprised if this is a contributing factor. Since I upgraded my system due to upgrading to a R5 3600 (everything but PSU and GPU was updated), I had to go into my Bios and manually run my RAM at DDR4 3200 as it was recognized to run at a lower speed. I know enough about PCs to build and diagnose basic issues, but I know nothing about the technicals of RAM and overclocking in general. At any rate, I just reseated my GPU and CPU(reapplying thermal paste) as well as my RAM. Still not identified by Speccy (which is were I got the original data from). Here is the HWInfo data:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse, MTS-B0) 3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 4067 MHz (40.75x99.8) Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) BIOS: 3001, 12/04/2020 Chipset: AMD X570 (Bixby) Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1597 MHz, 22-22-22-53 - 8192 MB PC16500 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 8192 MB PC16500 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 FURY AMD Radeon R9 Fury, 4096 MB HBM SDRAM Drive: WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s Drive: WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0, 1953.5 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s Drive: HP SSD EX950 2TB, 1953.5 GB, NVMe Drive: WDC WD40EDAZ-11SLVB0, 3907.0 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s <-> USB Sound: ATI/AMD Fiji - High Definition Audio Controller Sound: AMD Starship/Matisse/Vermeer - HD Audio Controller Network: Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network: Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19041.746 (2004/May 2020 Update)

Last edited:

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
After doing a little bit more research about my RAM (the fact that you said timings are off and that I have to manually set the frequency to what it should be... and issue I found to be very common with my MOBO/RAM/CPU combo across the internet) I decided to take a look at it using DRAM Calculator for Ryzen. From my very poor understanding it seems things are very much off. Figured I would add this to maybe help in diagnosing my issue further.
PcTWo4L.png

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Your ram with it's primary timings should (be able to) run at these specs,

Tested Speed 3200MHz
Tested Latency 16-18-18-38
Tested Voltage 1.35V
not talking about the secundary and tertiary timings with which Dram Calculator might help.

Saw there were newer beta biosses on the site, might want to take a look at those. I myself would try the latest, but that is me.

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Your ram with it's primary timings should (be able to) run at these specs,

not talking about the secundary and tertiary timings with which Dram Calculator might help.

Saw there were newer beta biosses on the site, might want to take a look at those. I myself would try the latest, but that is me.
Ok so after scouring google, I ended up figuring out that I just needed to enable DOCP mode. That got my frequency, timing, and voltage to be at spec now. I tried running some games last night and benchmarking software but couldn't reproduce my black screen crash issue. Thanks for helping me with figuring out my RAM. Ill take a look at the most recent BIOS as well.

Do you think it could have been my RAM that was causing this issue? Or is it likely something else (like my GPU)?

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Stupid of me, thought you did that. :rolleyes:

lets just see what happens now the ram is running at rated specs.

Alright ill report back once I get a crash. I have found no real way of reproducing it, but as of the last week the most reproducible way was playing Escape From Tarkov for a few hours which resulted in an unprecedented series of crashes while playing. Thanks again for the help, and hopefully you don't have to hear back from me again.

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
One thing that might help is setting the pcie slots to pcie 3.0 in the bios, so not at "Auto" but pcie 3.0 manually.

And i am back. Was very hopeful the last two days with no crashes, but I ran into one tonight. Was loading in a game with a video opened on my second monitor while it was loading.

Couldnt locate any option in my BIOS for pcie 3.0 manual override. Not sure where to look next. I had someone on reddit recommend that it is known issue with the GPU that I have and various other AMD cards. Not sure if that sounds like a feasible culprit for this issue? Any suggestions?

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
And I am back. A little over a week with no crash, but I just ran into three in a row tonight while trying to play a new game. Not sure where to go from here to fix this.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What game?

Would again try DDU by this thread and maybe even test some older drivers,

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
What game?

Would again try DDU by this thread and maybe even test some older drivers,

Last night I was trying out the demo for the game Undungeon. My PC crashed 3 times within the first 5 minutes at the same point, then the 4th time I was able to get a bit further but my PC crashed at a very similar context menu.

Previously it was happening while playing Escape From Tarkov rather randomly, but the last week I haven't had any issues with this game.

Someone on reddit mentioned that this very likely is an AMD GPU related issue. I'm currently looking to upgrade GPUs anyways, but because of all the craziness with GPUs right now its been pretty hard to upgrade to test if that solves my issues.

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Do you by any chance have a friend with Nvidia, so you could test with that gpu?

I dont, but I may have found the solution. Underclocked the frequency of the card and that crashing I was able to replicate is gone. If this is my fix until I can get my hands on a new card then I'm happy with that. Thanks for all the help Vic.

TRENDING THREADS