Random restarts (w/ Kernel 41 Error), also during memtest. Help?

shellyalon

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
Hi there,
the backstory is that I upgraded my computer with a lot of parts. At first I was experiencing random restarts pretty (very very) often. Most notably when playing games and when the GPU began working. It was a classic Kernel 41 Error with no BSOD. I figured the problem out pretty quickly, replaced an Thermaltake Hamburg 530w with a Thermaltake Berlin 630w and thought I solved the problem.

Not so fast. I still do experience the same kind of restarts. But this time they are really sneaky. Out of nowhere, even if the computer is just idling. It really doesn't seem to be tied to the workload anymore. And the restarts aren't so often, maybe once a day. Or twice. Sometimes it won't happen for a few days.

I've already tried to renew drivers, but that didn't help. I then thought that maybe it was my RAM? So I ran memtest86. Memtest didn't find any errors in any constellation but... during the memtests I did also experience restarts. I ran a lot of tests and I was able to finish 9+ passes in all constellations without any errors, but every few tests the computer restarted (and started memtest again but with the standard 4 passes, that's how I knew it restarted). I couldn't pinpoint a specific slot where the problem occurred.

So now it's pretty sure a hardware problem, right?

I also ran prime95 and furmark but the computer doesn't mind the heat. As I said, is occurres during memtest, which shouldn't use the GPU or much of the CPU - or when the computer is idling. I did also update my BIOS already.

So I'm thinking of trying yet another PSU with even more power? Would that be a possible solution? I don't really know why. Also maybe I should try to replace the mainboard? Or is it RAM after all? Can it be the GPU? I'm not quite sure what I should do next. Please help.

Here are my specs
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-B250-HD3P
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4200 1151 TRAY
CPU-Fan: hyper 212 evo
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium
RAM: Patriot Viper4 2x8GB 2400-15 1.2V
PSU: Thermaltake Berlin 630w Bronze
SSD Sata: 250GB 850 EVO
SSD M.2 PCIe: 250GB 960 EVO
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640 GB

Solution
You said it crashed during Memtest too. Did you do single stick with a bootable version of Memtest?

This is a good 550W PSU:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

It has two 6+2-pin PCIE power connectors. I think your card needs 1 X 6-pin and 1 X 8-pin.

You should consider this if you ever want to RMA your GPU and perhaps get another card.

This is also a good 650W, with some extra headroom which is always good to have to be on the safe side and have some extra if you ever want to overlock CPU and GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139143&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You updtaed BIOS and have changed PSU and it persists and it happened while running Memtest makes RAM a candidate.

I think you can run Memtest with single RAM sticks and see what happens if you didn't ("any constellation").

If you can repeat the problem with a single stick every time you run Memtest that is probably a faulty one.

Also can you check system with other RAM, borrowed perhaps?

shellyalon

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
I've checked also single RAM sticks and it still crashed - with every one.

But okay I've removed the graphic card and yes, the restarts aren't happening anymore. So it can't be memory or mainboard (at least unlikely).
My bet is on the PSU. I don't think the graphic card is bad - I don't get any errors while running intensive games or furmark. I think the (new) PSU is just not the highest quality and maybe has some hickups from time to time.

Tomorrow I'll go buy a new, really good PSU(with at least Gold) and try that out for a few days. If the restarts will come back, then oh god, that will probably be the graphics card :/

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes that PSU is not a good reliable one as far as I know. A flaky PSU can affect almost every component in the system.

However, RAM is fed through motherboard VRM and electric circuitry, not that directly affected by PSU, then again fluctuations can affect all components.

Good idea to change with a better reliable unit, I would go for at least a 550W unit.

It's not that likely to have two RAM sticks both be faulty. Did you buy them as a pack or two separate single stick?

shellyalon

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017

As a pack. But now with the GPU out the computer doesn't restarts anymore. So I don't think it's because of RAM.
Any PSU you can recommend?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You said it crashed during Memtest too. Did you do single stick with a bootable version of Memtest?

This is a good 550W PSU:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

It has two 6+2-pin PCIE power connectors. I think your card needs 1 X 6-pin and 1 X 8-pin.

You should consider this if you ever want to RMA your GPU and perhaps get another card.

This is also a good 650W, with some extra headroom which is always good to have to be on the safe side and have some extra if you ever want to overlock CPU and GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139143&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Solution