Random restarts when gaming, could it NOT be the video card?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I doubt you killed it with static, unless it was a very powerful zap which you would've felt followed by intense anger for making such a dumb mistake or a warm, smelly sensation in your drawers depending on the kind of person your are. Static is more like creaping death which is why it's important to ground yourself. Small amounts of static can cause issues over a long period of time.

One more note, and this would be considered extremely rare, but you could check the capacitors on the motherboard. If any of them are bulging or leaking, RMA the board immediately. I seriously doubt this is the case, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I think the reality of it is that you just got a bum set of RAM. I'm not familiar with DDR2, but it does run on much less voltage than DDR which means less heat. People recommend running memtest overnight because some RAM can pass after a few loops, but once the RAM starts to heat up the problems will show.

You may have a bum motherboard as well as it seems you're still having problems but I would hold off until you get your new RAM. Are you returning both chips (recommended) or one? If possible, you might want to look into another brand. I've read really good things on G.Skill and Patriot. Not that Corsair is bad, I just don't think they're worth the hype.

Honestly, when it comes to PSUs, they just aren't my expertise (in fact, I claim no expertise anywhere) so I cannot comment on whether the voltages you posted are good or bad. I'm sure others can help you out there.