Question Random restarts when loading certain games ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2022
Hi all,
I'm new on here and could do with a bit of help on a strange problem.
My set up is pretty old and due a few upgrades / renewal but I've been having restarts when I've been loading games whereas other probably more demanding games run with no issues.
cpu: r5 2600
gpu: rx 480 8gb
motherboard: asrock B450m fatal1ty K4 Bios 5.31
ssd: Drevo x1 pro - plus others I'll explain below
hdd: ST2000DM008
ram: 2 x 8 DDR4 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 at 3000
psu: Cooler Master G550M
Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22621.963

I can play BF2042, BFV, BF1, FIFA 23 and Death Stranding all day on reasonable settings with no issues, CPU use very low and GPU use in 90%+ and all temps fine, however when I try to load PES 2021 probably 4 times out of 5 the system restarts when loading a game.
Another issue is with The Division 2 where I get a restart when just loading the menus.
This has only really started happening since the last major windows 11 update in October. To try and work around this I dual booted with Windows 8.1 and PES worked fine for a few days but then the restarts happened again.
I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling etc, bought new HDD and installed the non working games and W8.1 on there and still the same issue.

My original thought was my psu is pretty old and on its way out but would that not fail on the games listed that work?

Any help/ input much appreciated

Dec 29, 2022
One is a steam game, the other is Uplay /Ubisoft. I've just tried another steam game (F1 2020) and got a restart on loading the menu, then another game which worked fine

Dec 29, 2022
Hi Thanks for the replies, sorry I've been away for a bit hence the late response.

Tried RAM single stick and problems persisted, already had tried run as administrator and again issues continue.
Running on single monitor but do have pc connected to TV which I use for some games.

I'm stumped as I've changed nothing in my system prior to these restarts happening other than a windows update, is it worth a refresh of windows installation?

Dec 29, 2022
Do you have a restore point saved perhaps back to before the Windows update? Also did you try to uninstall the gpu drivers and reinstall the latest not beta driver package for AMD?
Unfortunately no restore point available. Yes I've done a full removal and reinstall of gpu drivers. I haven't had any issues for a while now but I've been avoiding the games that caused the issue.

Dec 29, 2022
Just to update this thread and for the benefit of anyone finding this via a search for similar problems, it turns out the problem was my psu after all. I started getting restarts in BF2042 as well so swapped out the psu and everything now fine. Odd that it was only certain games initially.
Thanks for all the replies and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS