Random Restarts While Gaming

Gordon_15

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hello everyone this is my fist post on this forum. I almost always frequent the site when I am having an issue that I cannot solve alone and i think this may be the first time I havent found a solution.

I have read many other posts concerning the same type of issue I am having but given the nature of it I would appreciate some help / ideas from the community.

So to start I have the random restarts as stated in the title. The restart happens without a BSOD, even with auto restart disabled in windows settings. While playing a few games I am getting the crashes about a half hour to an hour in.

My first thought was a driver issue with the anny update on win10, however I did go through and update the most obvious/common drivers i.e - GPU, storage, audio, bios, usb along with firmwares for my peripherals. Problem persists

Ran memtest64 for 10 loops no errors.

Second I thought PSU so I powered down, switched off PSU, transfered to a new surge protector, booted up, tried a game, crash. Repeat but directly into a wall outlet w/o surge, boot, game, crash.
I then got AIDA64 , ran a system stability test to stress CPU,RAM,GPU and monitored all my rail voltages, gpu, cpu, temps, fans, etc. Ran twice. Once for 20 minutes no crash, then for 1 hour also no crash. Also during both tests I saw no voltage drops or spikes everything looked clean and regulated.

So at this point I am still not ruling out PSU, however am considering CPU , MOBO, or GPU (please no lol)

Any advice or help would be appreciated greatly as just like all of you I hate RMA, and down time of my game time.

Specs

OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
CPU Intel Core i7-7700K, 4400 MHz (44 x 100)
Motherboard MSI Z270 Gaming M7
Memory G Skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB (2x8gb)
GPU MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB)
DISKS Intel M.2 128gb, Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
PSU Corsair RM1000x

Also running an NZXT Kraken cooler on the cpu, in case anyone is wondering about that. Pumps go bad too i suppose but I built this system about 4 months ago or so. So still very new without a hiccup until 2 days ago.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and have a great day.

Gordon

Gordon_15

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Ok so the only thing that I can assume isnt stock, is maybe the factory overclock on the GPU? I didnt mention in my hasty post but I underclocked it by 100mhz. Other than that I reset power settings within windows which as far as I know is the only thing I have ever altered within the realm of power. Factory clocks on everything.

I havent tried a fresh install of windows yet because I dont want to tackle that chore yet. I work a LOT doing construction so i havent a lot of free time during the summer months and im a lazy @$$ when i get home haha

Elaborate if you will, and I will follow your instructions if you think it may help find the problem or a solution.

Thanks by the way for the reply elbert. I will update the bios as I think i am about 4 revisions behind

Gordon_15

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I smell what your cooking. Ill check it out in the BIOS and try disabling the boost.

Also just noticed within event viewer that every time the system crashes the last thing windows logs in the viewer is

UserModePowerService
Reapply power settings upon completion of the provisioning engine's turn 5

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-UserModePowerService
[ Guid] {CE8DEE0B-D539-4000-B0F8-77BED049C590}

EventID 22

Version 0

Level 4

Task 18

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x4000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-05-21T23:32:18.975759100Z

EventRecordID 765

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 88
[ ThreadID] 8888

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-PSFOADG

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

Turn 5

While I dont understand that depth of windows settings I find it suspicious none the less.