Question Random Restarts

Oct 5, 2019
Hi guys, lately I've been dealing with an issue that has been driving me up the wall and I've been having a nightmare of a time trying to figure out what to do.

TL;DR below. A while back I was having major issues with my pc constantly crashing while gaming and even just browsing the internet or working in microsoft office, as well has freezing during start up as early as the brief motherboard loading screen causing me to have to hard reboot my computer numerous times just to get into it. Even once I got into my computer it would randomly freeze during all sorts of activities forcing me to hard reboot. I was able to narrow down my issue to a problem with nvlddmkm.sys. I uninstalled my drivers with DDU and reinstalled them directly (not using geforce experience) and still had problems although they seemed to die down for a little before reemerging in full force. I did a complete wipe of my system reinstalling windows 10 and still nothing. I eventually decided that my 5 year old GPU was just ready to be put to rest and upgraded to a 1660ti which has completely resolved my issue of freezing on start up. Unfortunately now my PC randomly crashes and automatically reboots.

TL;DR my pc makes an odd buzzing sound, maybe sound just lagging and looping before the screen goes black and my pc reboots.

XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
  <EventID>41</EventID>
  <Version>6</Version>
  <Level>1</Level>
  <Task>63</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-11-28T00:31:05.967363700Z" />
  <EventRecordID>6678</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>DESKTOP-A13NFKK</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">278</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffe605bff97010</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
  <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
  <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
  <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>
My specs
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
BIOS Version: F3
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670
RAM: 8192MB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

An earlier memtest revealed nothing wrong there.
I've also tried different RAM sticks to no success.
One thing I have noticed however is when running chkdsk I get the error "The Volume Bitmap is incorrect" which is corrected upon running chkdsk /scan however the issue seems to return immediately when I run chkdsk again
My PC did not BSOD so I have no minidump files and memory.dmp relates to the issue I was having before I changed gpu, see below for who crashed

On Sat 2019-11-23 9:02:35 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8033F8B87BE)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8033F8B87BE)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3334892267d8a3d1\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.41
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.41
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.41 , NVIDIA Corporation).

I'm left thinking that maybe my PSU is the issue or that I'd need to update my BIOs but I figured I'd make a post to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what I could check. Thanks in advance.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS