First some system specs:
Ryzen 3 1300X
Crucial Ballistic Sport 16GB single stick RAM
GTX 980 reference, latest drivers
AsRock A320M Pro4
Sandisk 120GB SSD/Seagate 1TB HDD
Corsair AX750 PSU
Never overclocked or mined

Now for the problem. For about 2 months I had Windows 8 and didn't like it so I upgraded it to 10 with a fresh install. Once I did that, I would experience a black screen out of nowhere and it locks up my PC requiring me to turn off the power supply for a short time or else nothing would display upon reboot. This has been a random ongoing problem for about 3 weeks now. I could be playing GTA V for 3 hours and then black screen, or just 10 minutes and then a black screen. I can't reproduce it and theres no patten. I've read about this but haven't found any solid answers, just remedies that don't work. I first suspected the PSU, so I tested the system with my friends EVGA 750W PSU and the same result occured after a whole night of trying to diagnose. GTA V seems to be the only problematic game because I played World of Warships and Minercaft for most of the last two days with no issue. I've set the power plan to be High Performance, tried slightly increasing RAM amd CPU voltage with no improvement and also note that everything is stock, no overclock. I've tried the RAM in different slots, everything. I've done the mandatory Nvidia driver reinstall with DDU and actually installed last version of the driver. No improvement. I don't have any other games that cause this issue and it just happens randomly.

I ask for true advice. Please don't tell me to check all my plugs and stuff, I've checked these things multiple times and tried all kinds of cable looms. This has been ruining my gaming experience for far too long. Has anyone fixed this? Is it just me?

Remember, I played on this PC perfectly fine until I installed Windows 10.

cstringer645e

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

This I have considered. I will try it tomorrow, it's been a long night. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll update this soon.

cstringer645e

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
The problem turned out to be the power supply after all. The fan wasn't even turning! On boot it would move a little and then stop, and it's not even seized. I since swapped PSUs and no problems since (about a month)

That would make sense. Back in the day when almost all PC's had top mount power supplies, my system would occasionally lock up if I was gaming. When I put tab exhaust fan at the back of the case pulling air out right below the PSU, issues stopped. So basically the power supply most have been overheating.

Sounds like yours was doing the same thing, just for a different reason. Glad you got it sorted out.

Latest posts