Random screen flicker (vertical wide bars).

TheL0w3R

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi, I've been experiencing random screen flickers on my main screen only, it happens even more while I play big games such as Star Citizen.
This is my monitor setup:
- GTX 960 OC 4Gb (Overclocked by manufacturer).
- 2 Screens, my main monitor connected by HDMI and my secondary monitor by DVI.

I did some tests but the results confuse me a lot.
First test: Running the game with only my main monitor. It happened like allways.
Second test: Running the game with my second monitor as main. It happened again but on my other monitor (the monitor wich was previously my main one). It happens less times.
Third test: Swapping cables. Still happening on my main monitor.
Fourth test: With swapped cables, repeated the second test. Happened pretty much the same.

I'm really confused, I think the problem is my main monitor, my secondary never glitches, even when I set it as primary and run the game on it.

My question is, if the problem is my monitor, why does it happens more frequently when I open the game?
By the way, if the problem is my GPU, PSU or whatever, why it doesn't happens on my secondary monitor too?

Hope I explained it well, I know it's confusing, but I need help to clarify this.
Thanks in advice!! ;)

I recall a while back, I had a 5870 that would do that on occasion. I did not have a 2nd monitor at the time to know if it would be uneffected. The bars were narrow, but that doesn't mean much. The reason for my card to do this was over heating VRMs.

You might want to monitor the temps of the card, but also know that VRM's do not show up on monitors. On my card, the problem was the thermal tape dried up. EVGA on some recent cards were not adding thermal pads (has sense been added).

The flickering of artifacts is a sign of not enough voltage or power, or over heating issues.

TheL0w3R

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

Yeah, I was thinking that it was my card, but the problem is that when I swap cables, it still happens on the same monitor, never on my second one.
The other problem is: If the problem is the main monitor, why it happens more or less depending on what am I running?

Thanks for answering!!