random screen freeze followed by audio stutter and unresponsive computer

Dec 24, 2018
hello i have a asus g20cb prebuilt desktop computer and im currently experiencing the screen freezes with audio stuttering while browsing the internet or playing games. i then have to force restart the computer. it is very random because sometimes i can play a whole day without experiencing anything while other times i experience it in the first 10 minutes of turning on the computer.
Computer specs:
NVidia GTX 980
i7 6700 @3.4GHz
16GB Ram

vincentneo

Proper
Dec 25, 2018
May I ask if your prebuilt system is still covered by warranty? Because if so, you might be better of calling the service center up to see if they could help you repair any issues for free.

Dec 24, 2018

sadly warranty is up

vincentneo

Proper
Dec 25, 2018
In that case, it might be a problem with the RAM or the PSU, at least thats what I'm guessing. I suggest you try a simple RAM diagnostic program like memtest86 to see if theres anything wrong with the RAM.

Other than that, may I ask if you have installed any new items into your system, such as peripherals and stuff?

Dec 24, 2018

no i havent installed anything new as of yet, and sure i will try memtest. but im not sure if it may be the ram or psu because every so often the screen will go black then the screen will come back then sometimes the audio will buzz then go black again and then completely freeze then making me have to force restart and once i turn it on after nothing will show up. id have to turn it off and on several times in order for the boot screen to show up. i feel like it is the gpu.

vincentneo

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

Considering the audio buzz, are you outputting from HDMI for audio as well?

I did also face the screen black issue before which recovers in a while, but I identified that issue as being driver related. Maybe also try to update your GPU drivers on nvidia's site, and see if it helps?