Question Random second long freezes across all games. Seems like Windows is doing something in the background?

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing these random freezes in all my games for the last few years. Today, I decided to try and find out what might be causing the problems.
I monitored my system while playing CS:GO normally.
The CPU temps never went above 66°C and GPU stayed under 30°C. The freezes happen completely randomly and so I had to wait for a little bit. Suddenly, I got a small ~10 frame freeze. The only thing that showed anything that could MAYBE be related to that I captured in this Task Manager Screenshot.

I suppose there could be background application - from Windows (C:) cause most of my programs aren't on C: - that tries to download/upload something regularly (Hence the Wifi spike because I played offline)?

My question is what is the best way of finding out what exactly is causing my problems because it's seriously annoying...

System:
Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7
Watercooled GTX 1080 TI
ASUS ROG Strix B350f
G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 but only working at 1200 (Tested for RAM issues with Windows built-in tool but it found no problems)
Windows 10 on an SSD, games on HDD

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
In one of your games that suffers from these hitches, uninstall/remove it, and, fresh install of the game in question to the SSD instead...
Thing is it isn't just one game it's all of them even those on the SSD. It definitely has something to do with the system itself

DomskiPlays

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
I have now tried memtest86 to check my RAM also but it didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Also noticed the freezes were more common in Overwatch but I very much foubt the PC is GPU bound. Any new ideas?

ASK THE COMMUNITY