Random, short Ethernet disconnects.

andrebieller

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
For a while now, I've been getting irregular disconnects, and my computer is interpreting it as the ethernet cable being completely disconnected. While I could get another cable altogether, I would like to know that it's the issue before I spend the money. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this? And some other things it might be? At the very least, I can confirm it's not the router itself.

EDIT: To clarify, when I say "Short Disconnect," I mean only about 1-3 seconds at a time. It could happen once an hour, or every five minutes. It's very inconsistent.

Ralston18

Titan
Just one computer or all computers? Any Ethernet wall jacks involved?

Need to narrow down the circumstances and/or eliminate possible causes.

While connected, gently wiggle and twist the existing Ethernet cable. Do so on both ends.

If possible borrow a known working Ethernet cable and swap cables.

What Ethernet adapter is your computer using: built-in motherboard, PCIe, USB? Be sure that the latter two are fully seated and securely in place.

andrebieller

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

It's a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. No, it doesn't seem to be happening on any other devices connected directly to the router. We used a long ethernet cable, ran it through the wall, up into the attic, and down into my room, so no wall jacks. Just one long cable. I can confirm that it's perfectly seated, and wiggling it on either end doesn't interrupt the connection at all. As for borrowing another cable, I don't know anyone with a long enough one.

Ralston18

Titan
What Cat x cable did you run? Should be printed on the cable.

Ethernet cable is limited to about 328 feet but I doubt that you run is anywhere near that distance - correct?

However a poor quality cable or plugs can impact performance. If the performance is good when working then I continue to suspect a break or near break on one of the conducting wires.

Any kinks, hard bends, or twists in the long Ethernet cable?

Does the Ethernet cable run along any electrical wires on its path from router to room? Or go near any large electrical appliances?

Did you use any nails, staples, or other fasteners to secure the cable run?

No abrasions, chew marks, bare metal showing along the way?

If possible, temporarily move your computer closer to the router to try other shorter Ethernet cables. Or likewise, so to speak, try another wired computer in your room.

Determine if the problem stays with the computer or the existing Ethernet wire connection.

andrebieller

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

So, it turns out my Netgear router was the problem. I switch to our AT&T modem, and it works fine. Looks like I need a new router.

Aug 16, 2019

So, it turns out my Netgear router was the problem. I switch to our AT&T modem, and it works fine. Looks like I need a new router.
i have the same problem internet from ethernet keep random dc, so i change my router and its all fine.
my router was new, I bought new one cos my old router (that im using rightnow) was dead i tot its broken but turn out just cable power broken and i using from the new router.

the question is if I return the new router would they sent new with exact same model its gonna work well ? or just that model cant work well with my system ??

the random dc happen with two PC in my home but not with mobile phone . . .

TRENDING THREADS