[SOLVED] Random short freezes throughout the day

Jan 19, 2019
Hi, I'm posting now about my current ITX build which was built around August of last year. I remember when I was installing windows I was running into all sorts of problems. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what it was that was getting in the way, but I'm posting from the build as we speak so I obviously got around it. Anyway, ever since I've been using this build I've been experiencing random lock-ups throughout usage. There doesn't seem to be any pattern, it just decides "hey, i'm going to take a quick break for a few seconds then we can get back at it". When playing games like Rocket League it seems like I experience massive packet drops and my friends on discord say i'm "robotting out" IE my voice stutters and sounds pixelated when it happens. Playing AoE2 makes everybody on the server have to wait until my computer catches up. I've ran the Windows memory diagnostic with no errors detected multiple times. Check all my drivers and BIOS updates. I even did a full re-install a few months back hoping it was a corruption problem with Windows (which it still may be because i've been using a retail disc). ChkDsk doesn't show any problems either. I don't have any overclocks in place on the system and my temps seem stable. Any ideas? Also, could a network connection error cause my entire system to lock up briefly for whatever reason? I could see it if i was playing something online, but not while i'm working offline. I do frequently see Event ID 27 in event viewer, which is 'Network link disconnected', but it doesn't always coincide with the lockups either. Specs below.

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 130
Mobo: ASUS ROG X470-I
CPU: Ryzen 2600 with CoolerMaster Masterliquid 120L
RAM: 2x 8gb GSKILL Ripjaws V 3000mhz (currently clocked @ 2666)
GPU: EVGA GTX680 2gb (Vega 64 8gb reference is currently in the mail)
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Storage: 1x Sandisk 120gb SSD and 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm

I only waited as long as i did to get a new GPU because i was out of a job as soon as i bought everything else.
I'm willing to replace any of the parts, I just want a reliable machine again! Does it sound like a RAM issue? HD? PSU? CPU (pls no), MOBO (plllss no)? I'm stumped. Please help me haha

Solution
Check the temperature of your CPU and GPU

Do you use the original cable which came with the PSU?

update firmware of the SSD and check the SSD with sandisk´s tool
is it a M.2 or sata cable SSD?

reinstall the network driver from Asus or try the driver from Intel directly
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/?product=64404
check the line by your internet provider
check the ethernet cable, replace it

all windows updates done? You could install windows via USB as well. Windows media creator from Microsoft (latest build version)

Do you have the same problem with the vega card? You GPU might be dying.

clear the CMOS while power is unplugged from the wall

if this won´t help, set the RAM speed to 2133MHz
Check the temperature of your CPU and GPU

Do you use the original cable which came with the PSU?

update firmware of the SSD and check the SSD with sandisk´s tool
is it a M.2 or sata cable SSD?

reinstall the network driver from Asus or try the driver from Intel directly
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/?product=64404
check the line by your internet provider
check the ethernet cable, replace it

all windows updates done? You could install windows via USB as well. Windows media creator from Microsoft (latest build version)

Do you have the same problem with the vega card? You GPU might be dying.

clear the CMOS while power is unplugged from the wall

if this won´t help, set the RAM speed to 2133MHz

Solution