[SOLVED] Random shut downs and restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Hi all, been having an issue where my computer shuts off randomly and will sometimes restart itself after this random shut off. Windows Event Viewer always reports these random shut downs but never comes up with any error codes as the computer is turning off so fast. I have replaced my PSU to no avail, I do have some cable mod cables so maybe they could potencially be the culprit? Really shooting in the dark here. Any ideas? My specs are listed in my signature.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi all, been having an issue where my computer shuts off randomly and will sometimes restart itself after this random shut off. Windows Event Viewer always reports these random shut downs but never comes up with any error codes as the computer is turning off so fast. I have replaced my PSU to no avail, I do have some cable mod cables so maybe they could potencially be the culprit? Really shooting in the dark here. Any ideas? My specs are listed in my signature.

You should definitely go back to original cables when troubleshooting an issue like this. You want to reduce the points of uncertainty.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
You should definitely go back to original cables when troubleshooting an issue like this. You want to reduce the points of uncertainty.
took out two sticks of my RAM. I have four sticks of the same kind but two are from 2018 and the other two are from 2020. I took out the sticks from 2018 and it hasn't shut off for 5 hours which is longer than normal. So at the moment it is looking like either one or even both of my ram sticks are dead, not something I have ever really heard of happening with G.Skill but all products will have defects at the end of the day, or one of those ram slots are dead.

Also look in Reliability History and Update History.
didn't show me anything more useful than what event viewer did.

Ralston18

Titan
What error codes, warnings, and informational events are being captured? Especially any that began appearing when the random shutdowns began.

Do you see, for example, increasing numbers of errors over time? And maybe more varying errors or some patterns as well. Groups of errors.

Especially errors in the top three failure lines.

Also were you able to restore the original cables per @DSzymborski ?

Reactions: stanley88845

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
What error codes, warnings, and informational events are being captured? Especially any that began appearing when the random shutdowns began.

Do you see, for example, increasing numbers of errors over time? And maybe more varying errors or some patterns as well. Groups of errors.

When it shuts off, the DRAM light on my motherboard turns on and it throws out the code 00 most the time, this varies though. Sometimes there will be no codes or lights. I also should have mentioned that when it shuts down the computer isn’t entirely off, the screen goes black, the fans shoot up in speed and all the lights stay on but with the default configuration.

There are no errors that seem to correlate with the shut down, nothing that happens just before and if there is, it’s by chance.

I haven’t fussed with the cables yet, going to try different ram configurations for now and see how it goes. At the moment I took out two of the sticks and so far it has been on for about 10 hours without issue (which is far far longer than I normally get before it shuts off), other than my game crashing but I think that is down to some corrupt files from these shut downs which I have been trying to sort out as well.

Going to leave my computer on over night and if it hasn’t turned off when I hit the 24 hour mark, I’ll going to try swapping my sticks over to the other slots (to see if it’s a dead slot) and then if that passes I’ll swap back to the other ram and repeat. If it still doesn’t crash then it must be an issue with my computer not liking having 4 sticks of ram which could be an issue with the cpu or motherboard I’d guess.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020

So the current verdict is that when I take out two sticks of RAM, it still shuts off but it is FAR less common. Probably happens about 1/4 the amount as before, only just did it for the first time since taking it out. I suspect this is a motherboard issue, what do you think?

Ralston18

Titan
It could be the motherboard but without some specific error code or some "by elimination" troubleshooting I cannot say for sure.

However, with the problem now occurring 1 of 4 times that is certainly an improvement. However if the RAM are not fully matched (purchased as a kit) for dual channel use then memory could be the root issue.

This motherboard?

https://media.s-bol.com/Bnx1GRw6DXXo/original.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct/applicable User Guide.]

Referencing the User Guide, two things must be done:

1) Verify via the User Guide and a visit to the manufacturer's website that all installed components are supported. Be sure to check the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) on the website. Especially RAM.

2) Once all components are confirmed as being supported: again refer to the User Guide to ensure that the corresponding configuration settings are correct for the build.

For both 1. and 2. above, details matter so pay close attention to fine print, caveats, etc.. Remember there may have been some changes so visiting the manufacturer's website is important. And remember to check the manufacturer's FAQs and Forums.

Temporarily, stop any overclocking, turn off power savers, Simplify as much as possible with the objective being to obtain a stable situation = 0 in 4 times of occurring. Then you can start making changes again but making only one change at a time plus allowing time between changes.

And although Reliability History and Event Viewer are not showing any errors etc., keep checking. At least Reliability History because it is easier to work with and understand. And if some event of any sort appears then the timeline may help discover what happened to cause that. So keep track of what you do and change.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
It could be the motherboard but without some specific error code or some "by elimination" troubleshooting I cannot say for sure.

However, with the problem now occurring 1 of 4 times that is certainly an improvement. However if the RAM are not fully matched (purchased as a kit) for dual channel use then memory could be the root issue.

The DIMMS are all matching but were bought as two seperate kits, one from 2018 and one from 2020. I have been sure to keep each kit running in the same channel as eachother.

1) Verify via the User Guide and a visit to the manufacturer's website that all installed components are supported. Be sure to check the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) on the website. Especially RAM.

2) Once all components are confirmed as being supported: again refer to the User Guide to ensure that the corresponding configuration settings are correct for the build.

For both 1. and 2. above, details matter so pay close attention to fine print, caveats, etc.. Remember there may have been some changes so visiting the manufacturer's website is important. And remember to check the manufacturer's FAQs and Forums.

I can confirm that my RAM is on the qualified vendors list and that they are running at their rated speed and timing.

Temporarily, stop any overclocking, turn off power savers, Simplify as much as possible with the objective being to obtain a stable situation = 0 in 4 times of occurring. Then you can start making changes again but making only one change at a time plus allowing time between changes.

My config settings are to the RAM's spec but I know I have some power management settings tweaked in the bios for the CPU and RAM, so I will revert all these back to normal for now apart from DOCP and PBO, if the issue continues I will also disable these. In terms of power savers, I do not believe I have any turned on, but I will check this. I also had a thought that ReSizeable BAR could also be a culpret, so I will also turn this off if the power management settings don't fix it.

And although Reliability History and Event Viewer are not showing any errors etc., keep checking. At least Reliability History because it is easier to work with and understand. And if some event of any sort appears then the timeline may help discover what happened to cause that. So keep track of what you do and change.

I have kept checking this and so far nothing has shown that seems to correlate with the shut offs.

Also just to note, I had another one a minute ago except this time it completely shut off rather than the normal fans screaming, screen off, lights on, DRAM dianostic light and diagnostic code.

Thanks so much for your help by the way.

Last edited:

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020

This motherboard?

Update: I have now gone to my BIOS and reset everything to factory settings except DOCP, ReSizeable BAR and PBO. Will keep you updated on how this goes. If it hasn't shut down by the end of my work day, I will put the other two sticks of RAM back in.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Hi all, after a motherboard swap, I can confirm that my issue has been resolved. Thanks to everyone that helped me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS