Sep 22, 2020
Hello,

I just installed a ryzen 3600 with a new motherboard and 16GB's of ram. I first had high idle temperatures but after replacting the stock cooler for an aftermarket hyper 212 the temperature dropped to 40c idle ish. Now whenever I want to run a game (Warzone) or run a benchmark the pc screen turns black and the pc restarts itself. Windows itself is runninng fine.

The fans of the gpu are not turning

I think that this might be because of the PSU since the psu sometimes make's a humming sound. I monitor the temps of the cpu during these tasks and it doesnt exceed 75c. Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

specs:

corsair vs550

gtx970 asus strix

ryzen 5 3600

16gb of 2sticks of corsair vengeance ram (ddr4)

and hyper212 evo aftermarket cooler

Solution
corsair vs550
Poorer budget model PSU (and perhaps older one also by the looks of it). If you're also hearing new sounds coming from the PSU this would further cause concern for the PSU. The older VS can easily cause issues like this after a while, they're not really built for gaming systems.

I'd swap this with a good quality known working unit and see if the issue persists.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
corsair vs550
Poorer budget model PSU (and perhaps older one also by the looks of it). If you're also hearing new sounds coming from the PSU this would further cause concern for the PSU. The older VS can easily cause issues like this after a while, they're not really built for gaming systems.

I'd swap this with a good quality known working unit and see if the issue persists.

Solution

maskedterminal

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
Hello,

I just installed a ryzen 3600 with a new motherboard and 16GB's of ram. I first had high idle temperatures but after replacting the stock cooler for an aftermarket hyper 212 the temperature dropped to 40c idle ish. Now whenever I want to run a game (Warzone) or run a benchmark the pc screen turns black and the pc restarts itself. Windows itself is runninng fine.

The fans of the gpu are not turning

I think that this might be because of the PSU since the psu sometimes make's a humming sound. I monitor the temps of the cpu during these tasks and it doesnt exceed 75c. Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

specs:

corsair vs550

gtx970 asus strix

ryzen 5 3600

16gb of 2sticks of corsair vengeance ram (ddr4)

and hyper212 evo aftermarket cooler

Your GPU fans don't spin until they need to (It helps preserve both the GPU and Fan life. You can actually make them spin constantly with programs like MSI Afterburner if you're concerned they aren't working. I had the same concerns as you just to find out they only spin when your GPU gets too hot.

I'm having the same problem you're having though. Everything works fine but as soon as I enter a game, it'll shut completely down. I think it's either, a current fluctuation, PSU going bad, connector issues or my motherboard is going bad. I know it's not my temps rising too high because I've already checked that out and all my drivers are up-to-date (Which can cause shutdowns). What I think causes the shutdown is the lack of electrical current required to fuel my hardware. I've already tested with two PSU's and both are having the same problem.. However, my EVGA PSU (the newer PSU) tends to let me get on games but as soon as I join a mission my PC will shut down. If I figure anything out, I'll let ya know (maybe it could help your issue?), if you haven't already figured out your issue.

However... There are a few things I haven't tried yet. Like installing my old GTX 770. Right now I'm running an RTX 2070. I also haven't tried a different room in the house as well as check my CPU's thermal paste. I'm about to do those here soon

Replace the PSU. Refer to high tier. I recommend EVGA Supernova G3 series at least 750W+.

Your system is trying to draw more power than the PSU can deliver. Time to upgrade.