random shut downs, sometimes won't boot, reseating 24pin usually fixes

Ramberjet

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Hey there,

I have read a lot of forum posts online for my issues and none seem to fit exactly, so I wanted to share--maybe get some help, but also track what might fix it for others with the same problem.

So, in order of occurrence, the first problem: sometimes, when I try to boot up from sleep mode, it won't. Pressing the power button does nothing (no lights, fans, sounds, etc.).
The second problem, which has occurred more regularly in recent weeks: while gaming, my PC turns off. Then it will not power on. The power button does nothing.
These are the only issues, which I reiterate because what I've read of other systems with these problems, they have additional symptoms or vary slightly.

To resolve both of these, I turn off my PSU, unplug the power cable from the PSU, and then unplug the 24-pin PSU-to-Mobo cable on the motherboard end. After waiting a minute, I reseat it, and then the PC will usually turn back on. Occasionally I will need to wait longer and will repeat this process. In the first case, when attempting to reboot from sleep and going through this process, it will reboot to my desktop directly rather than from a fresh boot up.

Edit: The most recent time my PC shut off, I only turned off the PSU and unplugged it, waited a little while, did not touch the 24-pin connector, and it powered on.

Temps are fine. My cpu stays within 40 to 60 C when under various load (games, stress tests, benchmarks). My gpu maxes out at 55 C.

My system, built in second half of 2016:
MSI z170A SLI motherboard
Intel i5-6600k (OC to 4.4ghz)
2 x 8gb G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 RAM 3200 (14-14-14-34)
MSI gtx 1070 (OC to 2088mhz)
Seasonic 660XP2
PNY 480gb SSD
Displayport 1.2 cable included with monitor (Dell), which does output 144hz 1440p.

I have made sure that my drivers are up to date, and I even updated to the latest bios (from 3.60 to 3.70), and the second problem (sudden shut off) persists. It has not been very long since these updates, so perhaps the stuck-in-sleep-mode problem will also happen again.
Edit: it was unable to wake from sleep mode (blue power light flashes, but the button does not boot it back up).

From my understanding, this typically occurs with bad PSUs and less commonly with non-certified Displayport cables. (Apparently bad DP 1.2 cables can send a 3 or 5v charge into the gpu, but I do not need to unplug mine in order to get my PC to boot.) My cables are all firmly seated, with one exception, the case's usb 3.0 cable to the mobo's usb 3.1 pins can become a little loose due to its location and the size of the adjacent gpu. Data transfer works through those ports. Lastly, I have tried plugging in the PC to both a power strip and directly to the wall (always to the same pair of outlets). Nothing else loses power, so it would seem to be internal to the computer.

Everything runs so well otherwise, as if these shut offs never happen! And then they do.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Should I try a $20 certified Accell DP1.2? Or try to RMA the PSU or Mobo? Thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums. I've been an on-and-off reader for many years : )

Solution
Sounds like a psu problem to me. Although you picked a good series do even those have their bad examples. Get in contact with the vendor or the maker and rma it.

If you could test with another one would that be nice of course,maybe one from a friend or local shop,which would probably cost abit of money.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like a psu problem to me. Although you picked a good series do even those have their bad examples. Get in contact with the vendor or the maker and rma it.

If you could test with another one would that be nice of course,maybe one from a friend or local shop,which would probably cost abit of money.

Solution

Ramberjet

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Hey, thanks for the reply. It does certainly look like a PSU issue, but given the quality of Seasonic platinum, it takes a second set of eyes for me. I'll get in touch with them and report back once I have an alternative PSU.

Ramberjet

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
A small detail that I forgot to mention: after the computer shuts off on its own, the ethernet port continues to blink orange.

Also, would you be so kind as to explain why you think it's more likely to be a PSU issue rather than a motherboard problem? I do not suspect a specific component because the problem is a complete lack of power (no LEDs or fans even). My assumption would be that since everything operates great when it does have power, it's simply an issue with the PSU being incapable of keeping up with the hardware's power draw. Is that close to what you're thinking? Anyways, waiting on Seasonic to get back to me about the RMA. Thanks again for the advice!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

This makes me think that ... but it can also be a sign of a shortage somewhere from which the psu protects the system.Just can't think of any reason out why a shortage would not immidiatley make the pc turn off so stress on the psu and it unable to handle it seems to be more the likely problem.

See now you have the cpu+gpu overclocked,it would be better to undo that until there's a solution for your problem.Even test without the overclock,see if the problem is still there.

Ramberjet

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Okay, thank you for this. Likely good news: I started using an HDMI cable on Tuesday, and then swapped in a new Accell VESA-certified DP1.2 yesterday afternoon and have had no problems since. Of course, it is too soon to tell whether the non-certified DP that shipped with my monitor was the culprit. But so far so good. Initially I disregarded the possibility of the DP cable sending a voltage into my system because when that has been the case for others, their systems typically would not boot up until disconnecting the bad DP cable. I only ever had to unplug the PSU. So, I do still have my doubts, but will keep the PSU in for the time being. I have an RMA number good for a month in case the shutoffs continue to occur. Thank you again, Vic 40, for your attention and advice.

UPDATE: Well, the above was wishful thinking. It just shut down as per usual while playing Witcher 3 for 20 minutes. I'm not sure what to make of the apparent temporary fix. Looks like I'll be sending in the PSU to Seasonic after all. Should be able to pick a solution by the end of the month, I hope.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Temps were the only other thing that came to mind but with these should that be fine so looks indeed that the psu is the problem.

Ramberjet

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Well, it was indeed the PSU. The RMA "test status" is "defective unit," and the "test results" are "no power." I'll update in the event that I receive it or another back and I still have issues. Thanks again, Vic 40, for taking the time to give your take. I'm still surprised that it was the Seasonic Platinum, but the upside is that the company provides good service.

For those who happen along this thread and also have a Seasonic PSU, they allow you to "follow along" online as they update the status. USPS got it to them late on Monday, its status was "received" on Tuesday, and midday Wednesday (their time zone) I had the "defective" determination. Hopefully the turn around for a repair or replacement is equally as prompt : )